What's new
What's new

Kwik-way FN repair w/ pictures

Holicori

Plastic
Ended up hitting the bottom with my bar. It still seemed to function just fine and cut well, but the handwheel was rather difficult to move.

I took the cover off on the opposite side and turned it, and that shaft was definitely bent. You can see the crack in the picture.

Ordered a new shaft and swapped the gears over. Figured some of yal would be interested to see the guts.

Obviously you take off the two cover pieces to get the handwheel out.

There is a plunger bar that sits inside the shaft. Removing that, there is a smaller shaft with a flathead slot. Hold that and turn the toggle out. Now the handwheel which is slotted with a key slides off. The cover is held with an Allen key, loosen and it slides off too.

For the gears. The bronze color one, that is sort of concave goes on first (closest to the handwheel). The orientation is correct with the gear furthest from the handwheel. I didn't take a good picture, but on the inside 180* apart, are grooves for those balls to lock into....a clutch sort of.

The smaller shaft fits I side the larger, with a spring on it. When the plunger is engaged, it forces those balls outward...which will catch on the inside of the bronze gear and turn with it. When it's not engaged, the balls retract inside the shaft.

The smaller gear has a woodruff key in it, but it's not normal. It's simply a square shaped piece of metal it seems. Just slide the gear over the key and push it back.

Everything should come off and on by hand, I didn't need any assistance getting the gear off, but it was snug.

Not pictured was a short sleeve that fit over the entire shaft.

Anyways, just a little I learned while doing some upkeep/repairs. Put new oil in transmission. To fill that remove the motor and fill through the large Allen head. Topped off the handwheel fill port and wiped down the bar and feed. Good to go.

Just got an offset holder and new holders. Ready to go!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Pics
67197a82a029ffa1c61e010bb286b4cd.jpg
983312e433c7f3f6dc69aa43b8bacf22.jpg
4580a4c6e0de04e5f75c595529feddd4.jpg
162698687cb7fd035f61b34ec606ce66.jpg
ac19f0d8440b040a1aa4ec814b019a57.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Thanks. We don't often see the insides of a Kwik Way. Your description of the bar is great. Pictures are great. The gears and worm wheel looks so fine. Man you did some work on it. It was a complicated machine but you shared it with us.
It going to be so good when cylinder boring works so well. You Know how it works.:)

Back