What's new
What's new

L&S spindle bore sises

Froneck

Titanium
I have an L&S Model X 14" late model with speed slide rule mounted on the Head Stock and Hard replaceable ways. I though I seen in my owners manual somewhere the spindle bore was 1-11/16" I know 1-5/8" will fit thru but 1-3/4" will not. However now I can't find it, since the manual has all the other size Model X lathes included I was hoping to get the bore diameter for the machine below.
I'm also interested in what a 24" L&S Powerturn spindle bore diameter is. A friend of mine told me a Powerturn might be sold soon at the company he works for. I have a 50"s vintage Hendey 24" but larger spindle bore is something I can use. I'm assuming the bore will be quite a bit larger than my 14" Model X.

What is the spindle nose size? Assuming it's an L taper. I have a chart somewhere that gives standard internal bore sizes for L spindles.

Andy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This 20" - which is based on the "little" (14 and 16) Model X - says clears 1 3/4" - and has the L1 nose

Brochure Scan 03.jpgBrochure Scan 06.jpg

As early as August 1947 - both the 18 and 20" Model X (large machines) had 2 1/2" spindle bores, so the 2X or Power Turn would be at least that large on the LARGE PTs

I have D1-6 spindle on my 14" Model X, I did put 1-5/8" thru the spindle but 1-3/4" bar stock would not fit thru, might have been a few thou. over size.

Can't remember right off what size the bore was on the HD model X I ran a few years ago, but I'd say 2" or so, at most. 20" HD Pacemaker here is only 2 1/4".

I'll ask my friend to try and measure the bore, he don't work in the machine shop. He's an engineer, all work they do on the lathe is large so spindle bore is not an issue. It's an issue for me since I do make a lot of shafts for local company and having a larger spindle bore will help. I'm told they aqlso have an L&S Model AVS in the 24-25" size that may also be sold, though he's not sure in their attempt to up-grade to CNC. I'm not familiar with the AVS model is it any good? I think it has a DC motor and varies the speed electronically. Anyone familiar with the AVS version and what spindle bore it will have?

What I'm looking for is a spindle bore about 2-1/4" or more. I make conveyor shafts from time to time for my customer from 1-1/2" square bar. Ends have to be turned round for bearings and drive hollow drive gear box. Would be easier if I were able to put the 1-1/2" square stock in the spindle to rough cut the ends.

If you are stuck on 50-60 year old L&S you just need the "large frame" machines - whatever they are named. Even my 103 year old 24 / 27 1/2" has 2 1/8 hole

What I'm looking for is a spindle bore about 2-1/4" or more. I make conveyor shafts from time to time for my customer from 1-1/2" square bar. Ends have to be turned round for bearings and drive hollow drive gear box. Would be easier if I were able to put the 1-1/2" square stock in the spindle to rough cut the ends.

No not stuck on L&S, any American made Heavy Duty lathe will do. Don't want to spend big bucks since I have lathes up to 24" Hendey which will swing near 26". A Sidney would be best since the Herringbone gears run better on interrupted cuts. I had a few Sidneys in the past and was surprised on how quiet the gearing was when taking interrupted cuts. My 16" Late Model C P&W is quite quiet but rattles a little however spindle bore is 1-11/16" at least I know 1-5/8" will go thru. Not sure if imports will work out. Quite some time ago I purchased a New DoAll lathe, later I found it was made by Harrison. If my memory is correct 15" had 2" spindle bore. However looking for a strange noise I removed the Headstock cover and was surprised to see it was only 12" or so wide balance was a sheet metal cover. Main gear was 1/2" wide if that!! I'll bet rough cutting 1-1/2" square round would wreck the gears in that DoAll I had in a short time yet my P&W would remove most of it in one pass using a CNMG 632 insert.

American made Heavy Duty lathe will do

I'd guess NONE of them unless like 20" swing 1955 20" Heavy Duty Pacemaker at 2.500 thru hole. This will be a 9000 Lb 30 HP go getter with 22.5" actual swing - or maybe same vintage 20" Sidney - 9400 Lbs and 2.81" hole with 48" between centers

I'll keep my eyes open for one of those machines, 20" isn't very large so spindle speeds should be OK. Sidney is wishful thinking, not many of them available but do come up from time to time.

Back