What's new
What's new

L1 Spindle Back Plate

bug_hunter

Aluminum
Hey Guys and Gals,

Looking for some information on what lathes use an L1 Spindle Mount or Back Plate. Might not be Antique, but not sure where else to post this question.

I am looking to part with a four-jaw chuck that is fitted with an L1 back plate and trying to figure out who might use this type of mount/back plate.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Many used it. One of the standards of the industry for medium-heavy lathes from (roughly) the early '30s on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

L 1 fits my 12” Hendey . Think they fit the 14” not sure about 16” and up haven’t looked it up

First off, its a face plate, someone used it as a back plate. Secondly its not an L1, or maybe better described as a modified L1, IDK. Post pics and dimensions so people can help you ID it.

Please enlighten me on the difference between it being a back plate and a face plate.

Below if a picture of the "plate" along with the dimensions of an L1. How do you see it as being modified?

L1-long.jpgIMG-0713.jpgIMG-0711.jpg

Last edited:
Please enlighten me on the difference between it being a back plate and a face plate.

Below if a picture of the "plate" along with the dimensions of an L1. How do you see it as being modified?

View attachment 317392View attachment 317393View attachment 317394

A face plate is used to drive dogs while working between centers, that is what the elongated notch is for. A back plate is used to mount a chuck, a face plate can be used as a back plate, but most here would have done it differently than was done with the locating pins. Notice an L1 spindle is fully tapered, according to your previous post the tapered section of the face plate is short then goes into a non-tapered section, please give those dimensions again.

A face plate is used to drive dogs while working between centers, that is what the elongated notch is for. A back plate is used to mount a chuck, a face plate can be used as a back plate, but most here would have done it differently than was done with the locating pins. Notice an L1 spindle is fully tapered, according to your previous post the tapered section of the face plate is short then goes into a non-tapered section, please give those dimensions again.
r
The tapered portion of hole on the plate recesses approximately 15/16-inch, then thee is a straight section (perpendicular to the plate) for approximately 7/8-inch, a small reduction in diameter to another straight (perpendicular to the plate) section for approximately 1-1/8-inch. The keyway existing for the entire thickness of the plate.

Thanks for he plate enlightenment:

Dog Slots = Face Plate
No Dog Slots = Back Plate

After further Googling, and enlightenment from dalmatiangirl61, it appears that I have an L1 faceplate that was modified to be used as a backplate. When its life began, it may have looking like this:

face.jpg

I’d say you have a dog drive plate used as a backplate. A faceplate has slots and or t slots to clamp odd work that won’t fit a chuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictured below is an L1 face plate, notice it is fully tapered. The center of taper is recessed so that when mounted it locates on base and nose of the spindle, not the center portion. My guess is that was made for a specific machine, but I have no idea what it fits, seems to be a compromise between a short taper (A series) and a long taper (L series), with the threaded outside diameter leaning it more to an L series.

Sorry, new computer and pic uploading is not working the way it used to, I'll try to figure it out.

After further Googling, and enlightenment from dalmatiangirl61, it appears that I have an L1 faceplate that was modified to be used as a backplate. When its life began, it may have looking like this:

View attachment 317396

But according to your descriptions, the taper on yours ain't right, so its not an L1. How about drawing us a diagram as if we are looking at it from the side, exaggerate the taper section(s) so we can see where its tapered and where its not, please include dimensions of each diameter.

Edit: You can also do this check, take a 6" ruler, set edge on tapered section, slide it into bore, it should not touch on center recessed section, but should lay flat on larger and smaller diameter sections of the taper. If ruler hits that lip, or only rests on edge of that smaller diameter, something ain't right and its a "special".

But according to your descriptions, the taper on yours ain't right, so its not an L1. How about drawing us a diagram as if we are looking at it from the side, exaggerate the taper section(s) so we can see where its tapered and where its not, please include dimensions of each diameter.

Edit: You can also do this check, take a 6" ruler, set edge on tapered section, slide it into bore, it should not touch on center recessed section, but should lay flat on larger and smaller diameter sections of the taper. If ruler hits that lip, or only rests on edge of that smaller diameter, something ain't right and its a "special".

A dimensioned cross-section is shown below. Forgive the crudeness as I am not a draftsman. Also forgive the incorrect description previously. Upon further review, the taper extend above and below the straight section. All dimensions are in decimal inches. The threaded portion is a nominal 6" dia with a 6 tpi pitch.

section.jpg

Back