What's new
What's new

Lantern tool post threader tool

tommy1010

Stainless
I posted in this forum because this was made long before me. Not that I am that old but... If anyone desires to have it send me $10.00 and I will send it to you. It can take space up in your tool box instead of mine. Look at the pics and you decide what you may use it for. lol
Paypal, check or money order. You choose. If you want it reply to this thread and PM me. First come first serve. The ten bucks is for shipping. The name on it is DETTERBECK.

100_1529.jpg100_1530.jpg100_1531.jpg100_1532.jpg

Did anyone notice that cuts a 90 degree vee thread and not 60 degree thread? The only thread that I know of using a 90 deg. thread form is the old Hughes Tool Co. H-90 rotary shouldered connection thread. 3-1/2" pitch at that. This don't look big enough to cut that monster thread!

Wonder if this was just for cutting edge breaks?

Ken

I seen the 45° stamped on the cutter, I assume the shank was homemade. Also noticed the clamping screw marks on the bottom as though it was used upside down, possibly done by the rear tool holder on a turret lathe.

The cutter looks like a standard size HSS circular form tool that would commonly be used on a screw machine or turret lathe. I have several Hardinge and Brown & Sharpe circular form tool holders for the lever cross slide of my Hardinge ESM-59 turret lathe. As can be seen, it is easy to make a circular form tool holder with a shank that fits an engine lathe tool post. Form tools are usually custom ground to a special shape that cuts a combination of contours, straight or curved. A single form tool can do the work of several different cutters at once, saving time and work stations (money) on mass production jobs. I suspect a form tool might still be justified on a few CNC jobs, but CNC with carbide inserts can do most jobs with great efficiency.

Larry

Back