What's new
What's new

Large Arbor Press

Cory

Cast Iron
I have a Greenerd #9 special base arobor press that is waiting for restoration. I have researched all over the web and cant find any other one like it. Does anyone have one of these hiding in there shop?
I called Carol at Greenerd and he told me he is on his 37th year with Greenerd and has only heard of these but never seen one in person.
This is in a 1930 Greenerd catalog labeled as a #9 with special base. They made #8's and #9's. The difference is the #8 is 36" between the columns and the #9 is 48" wide. They both have a 40 ton rating.
The ram is 4"X4"X 54" long
The handle is 18" in dia
The machine weighs 2800 pounds
The daylight on my machine is 48" wide x 35" tall
The ratio is 250:1 so 100 pounds on the handle puts 25,000 pounds to the end of the ram minus some friction.

That is a 4x4 in the picture that I crushed with little effort.

Anymore info on this machine would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Cory

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 4,410
  • catalog page.jpg
    catalog page.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,856
Funny, a guy was showing me pics of a big Greenerd press his buddy picked up a couple of weeks ago.
One pic was of a beer can about .010" tall.............on end!
Damn stout press, you bet!!

Rex

Dam, an arbor press that could replace a big chunk of the hydraulic presses out there...

Nice press,but crushing a soft wood 2x4 is pussy work,really. It is. You need a hydraulic press to make much pressure. My home made one is 50 tons. I have the Jack and pump to make a 100 ton one. These are for coining,that that press could not even begin to do.

I got this press for working on my other restoration ptrojects. I was trying to fit a huge motor into a smaller arbor press and ran out of opening. One of the nice things about this press is that the ram has so much travel. This will make is very versatile when dealing with different projects. I think most hydraulic press have a limited stroke length. Also when loading a traditional hydraulic press the frame is always in the way where this press loads from the front.

It will never beat the rating of a hydraulic press but I like to feel the pressure building with a manual vs hydraulic. It always seems the hyraulic builds and then POW!!! something moved or ends up bending.

Another question: Did anyone manufacture a larger manual press? (daylight and tonnage)

Thanks Cory

Nice press,but crushing a soft wood 2x4 is pussy work,really. It is. You need a hydraulic press to make much pressure. My home made one is 50 tons. I have the Jack and pump to make a 100 ton one. These are for coining,that that press could not even begin to do.

The wood sample was a 4X4, not 2X4. Reading is fundamental. See the picture too, it is in fact a 4X4 in the photo.

The guy found a nice original large capacity "unusual", and original arbor press to suit his needs and you want to be condescending? How would you feel if everyone who came to one of your W-burg exhibits, or viewed one of your pieces and crapped on it. He never said it was the biggest, or the best.

He just posted his find of a large capacity & rare older arbor press. Most of these finds are about being in the right place at the right time. And you have to take what comes your way. It wasn't about the best press, or what he should have gotten, or what you have. Most of the guys on here are interested to read about it. And he posted pics too boot.

Last edited:
Another question: Did anyone manufacture a larger manual press? (daylight and tonnage)

Thanks Cory

Cory, That's a really neat arbor press. I regularly use a 50 ton H-frame press with a Simplex mechanical 35 ton jack. It works very well and I like the feedback/control the mechanical aspect gives you. I would love to find a press like you have there.

I also have a couple 100 ton hydraulic presses for specific forming operations. One with it's 10HP power unit weighs around 5K pounds. The 10.5" bore 9" stem cylinder is 1800 pounds by itself.

Thanks Cory

Yes, but I don't know who. I tried to buy one back in the early '80's, but I didn't bid high enough. It was set up like an open frame hydraulic press, but it was mechanical. The ram was probably 6" od and threaded. There was a very large handwheel to position the ram. The handwheel had holes in the outside for a cheater bar. The top of the handwheel had teeth and there was a ratchet pawl to turn the handwheel. The mechanism with the ratchet pawl had about a 6' lever. I never figured the mechanical advantage, but it was tremendous. I would guess the press dated to the 1920's or earlier. The same sale also had a mechanical planer with quite ornate castings. I didn't get it either.

The wood sample was a 4X4, not 2X4. Reading is fundamental. See the picture too, it is in fact a 4X4 in the photo.

The guy found a nice original large capacity "unusual", and original arbor press to suit his needs and you want to be condescending? How would you feel if everyone who came to one of your W-burg exhibits, or viewed one of your pieces and crapped on it. He never said it was the biggest, or the best.

He just posted his find of a large capacity & rare older arbor press. Most of these finds are about being in the right place at the right time. And you have to take what comes your way. It wasn't about the best press, or what he should have gotten, or what you have. Most of the guys on here are interested to read about it. And he posted pics too boot.

Just "Liking" your reply wasn't enough. You hit the nail precisely on the head.

Cory,
That's a great piece of equipment. Good for you. Should help stabilize the slab too.

Last edited:
Great press, congratulations. There was a similar smaller one in this part of the country a few years back, don't know where it ended up.

There is a similar one on Ebay right now, painted orange, but a size smaller I believe. This style was also available with wheels on one end so you could tip it over and move it around the shop. However, they were smaller than yours.

Charles

If anyone's suffering from "Cory envy" feast your eyes on this little ebay gem...

15-ton.jpg

15 Ton Unknown Arbor Press | eBay

Yes I saw those. They have two, one with bolster plate and one without. This looks like a #8 regular. 36" between columns. The opening in the base should measure 7-1/4". The one I have is a special base model so it gives you 12" opening on top of base and 24" opening below top surface of base. It seems they all come with a really heavy handle that bends under its own weight!! LOL It helps to have the handle bent for a guy who is vertically challenged like myself.

They claim the #8 weighs 2450# and is 76" tall still a 250:1 leverage

Cory

Back