What's new
What's new

Large Older Lodge and Shipley Available

Frizzen

Aluminum
Gent that had this has passed away and his wife would like it out of the garage. He work as a machinist at power plant in the area and bought this from the plant years ago. Bed measures a little over 10ft or about 6ft from chuck to the end of bed. The 4 jaw chuck, that is on it, measures around 16 inches so am guessing about a 22-24 inch swing. Didn't measure the second 4 jaw but would be in the 12 inch range, definitely smaller than the mounted chuck. Has a steady rest. We did start the motor but did not run the lathe because of the shifting involve and not being sure what to do, you'll see why in the pictures! According the the lady he ran it but I don't know how long since, can tell you the spindle is free and it has always sat inside. Looks to have been kept oiled all the time. The side of it says Lodge and Shipley, Ohio, US. It currently sits on timbers with rollers under it. With a little work it should come out without to much difficulty, he apparently put it in by himself.

Figure I just as well get the interesting stuff out there first, first picture is of the shop made shifting setup. Apparently the power plant did this, she said thats how he got it.

Sorry for the poor pictures but was hard to get good ones.

It would be nice to see some discussion as to what it is, weight, and how old. Maybe 7-8000 pounds? I was thinking 20's and maybe ran with and overhead drive of some sort originally. Thats maybe the reason for the drive setup it currently has. Although, it appears it has some sort of motor mount behind the spindle drive pulleys, this can be seen in one picture. But I really have no clue.

The price is right....she just wants it out. She said it would be nice to go to someone that will use it.

For location use Spencer, in Northwest Iowa. Its not far from there.

If interested just let me know here and we can talk then.

A friend also looked at this lathe, and is watching this thread, so hopefully he will add anything I have forgot.

Attachments

• IMG_9915.jpg
    IMG_9915.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,140
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • image000000-1.jpg
    image000000-1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,130
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_9913.jpg
    IMG_9913.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 206
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_9917.jpg
    IMG_9917.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9913.jpg
    IMG_9913.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9918.jpg
    IMG_9918.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9920.jpg
    IMG_9920.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
Cool to have three oldie Ford trannies in a row - have some real twisting power in back gears (its also double back geared)

Thanks to Mike C for the 1916 scan

These are all RAISED SWING, so if near 24 actual it is a 22"

22 was the smallest of the "big" versions - has 2 1/8 hole thru spindle - and all these "biggies" had the cast in "rack gear" for the tail stock pawl to push against

L&Spg42sm.jpgL&Spg5.jpg

All of the "biggies" have this very unusual huge threaded spindle nose

* Worked Good!

ph

Last edited:
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9927.jpg
    IMG_9927.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_9922.jpg
    IMG_9922.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9923.jpg
    IMG_9923.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_9924.jpg
    IMG_9924.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9925.jpg
    IMG_9925.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 102
last 5 pictures

Attachments

• IMG_9932.jpg
    IMG_9932.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9931.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9930.jpg
    IMG_9930.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_9935.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9933.jpg
    IMG_9933.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 87
I hope you find a caring home for her! I for one can really appreciate the engineering involved in setting up the "drivetrain". I am a firm believer in preserving past "enginuity" when it is well done. We tend to take for granted the factory components available today with no more than a "click to buy". Shop made stuff like your neighbors lathe, considering what they had to work with back in the day, is pure industrial art to me!

Cool to have three oldie Ford trannies in a row - have some real twisting power in back gears (its also double back geared)

Thanks to Mike C for the 1916 scan

These are all RAISED SWING, so if near 24 actual it is a 22"

22 was the smallest of the "big" versions - has 2 1/8 hole thru spindle - and all these "biggies" had the cast in "rack gear" for the tail stock pawl to push against

View attachment 292050View attachment 292090

All of the "biggies" have this very unusual huge threaded spindle nose

* Worked Good!

ph

John, I'm not sure I've got this right, ...…. on pic 1 of your photo it shows a finest feed of 88 cuts / inch or 0.0113 '' / rev .as in a finest feed of over 11thou'' ?

John, I'm not sure I've got this right, ...…. on pic 1 of your photo it shows a finest feed of 88 cuts / inch or 0.0113 '' / rev .as in a finest feed of over 11thou'' ?

You are absolutely correct

Different world then - if you just had to have a decent finish, you had a flat on the tool nose at least as wide as that feed

But mostly they used as much feed as they could crowd on - I guess that is why many of the aprons are trashed or nearly so on the survivors

Sort of like here over at ATW

Big Chips 1915 at ATW.jpg

My '17 24" gear head is identical with the 88

John, don't know about the spindle nose but the hole size looked to be that and it definitely has the rack gear down the center.

If each of those trany's are 3 speeds and the head-stock has the double back gear, that thing has 81 spindle speeds. If they still had the cone pulley option, it would get up to 243! That thing could really get down to a creep!

I remember when I got the head-stock pulleys sorted out on my old Logan 200 and I was so pleased to have 12 speeds........:Yawn:

If each of those trany's are 3 speeds and the head-stock has the double back gear, that thing has 81 spindle speeds. If they still had the cone pulley option, it would get up to 243! That thing could really get down to a creep!

I remember when I got the head-stock pulleys sorted out on my old Logan 200 and I was so pleased to have 12 speeds........:Yawn:

If reverse on those trannys yielded an even different ratio, 2 of them in reverse [to cancel each other out] should give you another 3 speeds at least, or maybe even 9! LOL.

Thanks for all the comments so far. Like I said the price is right....free....but I also realize nothing is free when dealing with something like this. There’s travel and getting it on and off a trailer, these are not cheap....at least it should be fairly easy to get out from where it sits. But, am still hoping someone steps up snd want it, if not it will be taking a oneway trip to the scrap yard.

Trouble with free is people will automatically assume something is wrong with it. If you put if on your local for sale adds for a good price- (maybe $300-$400?) on the low end of fair I bet you would get some calls by people who would use it. They otherwise would not spend time or money on something they did not need.

Trouble with free is people will automatically assume something is wrong with it. If you put if on your local for sale adds for a good price- (maybe $300-$400?) on the low end of fair I bet you would get some calls by people who would use it. They otherwise would not spend time or money on something they did not need.

That works.
An old story about a guy who put a used fridge in his front yard with a FREE sign hanging on it. No takers after a week.
He changed the sign to read $100.
Someone stole it almost immediately.

I understand guys. Thanks
I was going to let it run here first for a few days, then talk with her and see if it would be ok to run locally. I also understand it big, heavy, old and slow so the people wanting one like this is a pretty small group.

A buddy of mine was selling his truck, mid 90's chevy extra cab w shell. maybe 180k miles. dings like normal but ran fine. He was a heavy haul trucker so took good care of it. He wanted it gone so he put it on CL for $1500. No calls for about week or 10 days. I told him it was priced to low, people are wondering what is wrong with it for such a low price. Told him to change add to something like $3000.... sold within 2 days :cheers:

I don't put anything out near the Road with a FREE sign! I had some used and in good shape filing cabinets and a couple of Metal Desks. The Desks were the smaller type with draws only on one side. Thought someone would want them for kids. After a few days they were gone, later when I went to the scrap yard they all were there set aside for sale and were soon sold! Now I put a sign with a price and Best Offer!

Back