What's new
What's new

Large South Bend Turret Lathe in need of rescue - North Texas

MayerMR

Plastic
Gentlemen,

I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to join and make this post so I can *hopefully* find someone who can rescue and old South Bend turret lathe before it gets hauled to the scrapper by the middle of next month. I'm just getting into metal working myself, but I am experienced in the restoration of old/antique tools and other items and I'd just hate to see a piece of history like this get chopped to bits.

So the good, the owner doesn't want much...he just wants the scrap value and I think he'd be thrilled to get a couple hundred dollars. The lathe seems complete, as far as I can tell.

The bad - the lathe has been sitting outside for a number of years and would need a full restoration.

The lathe is located in Texas, just north of Plano. If interested, please let me know and I will put you in contact with the owner, or even help coordinate as best I can.

I truly have no business interest or reason to be posting this other than trying to help preserve a bit of history.

IMG_20180706_185054.jpg

IMG_20180706_185126.jpg

IMG_20180706_185117.jpg

IMG_20180706_185102.jpg

I apologize in advance if I have broken any rules; I found out about this recently and need to run to a meeting. I'll be checking in on this thread and my PMs as much as possible if there is any interest.

S/F,

-Matt

I have to say that is an interesting switch arrangement on the headstock. I assume the lever to the right is "off", as that's where the notch is allowing the belt cover to be opened.

Clever little bit, and clearly factory as they all look like cast pieces.

I'd take it if it were local.

Doc.

I have to say that is an interesting switch arrangement on the headstock. I assume the lever to the right is "off", as that's where the notch is allowing the belt cover to be opened.

Clever little bit, and clearly factory as they all look like cast pieces.

I'd take it if it were local.

Doc.

You are correct. The casting reads from left to right, high, low, off, rev.

Have you ever used or heard of uship.com? It's kind of like an eBay for shipping. You can place an "auction" for items you want shipped and truckers/professional drivers who are traveling a route and have open space will receive a notification of a request that is near their route. They can then place a bid for the job and you have the ability to communicate with them or just wait for better offers. I have shipped vehicles across the country for under $100, motorcycles for $200, and large, awkward items like table saws and presses for $100-200. It helps if you aren't in a hurry for a delivery as they will sometimes take it back to a hub and wait for another load going back towards you're location. I'm very fond of using that site and highly recommend it; nothing but good experiences thus far.

You can always just post an auction/request to see what kind of bids you get; though I will say that sometimes it is slow at first and then, bam, you get several in one night.

I wish there want such a time hack on getting this thing re-homed before it heads to the scrapper... I feel personally responsible to save it!

Thanks for your interest!

S/F,

-Matt

I cant understand why people dont throw a couple of sheets of old roofing iron over machines out in the weather.Trucks and tractors too.A slop of old sump oil every time you have some for waste.and the stuff is still good years later.Even if you eventually scrap the thing,theres no cost ............although I must admit,I love the guys who take a picture of a machine in work,then move it outside for years ,then sell on ebay with the nice pictures........I know one guy got a right spanking for doing just that......the buyer spent money having pickup and shipping,and was a little bit put out when he saw the machine......even more at water in the gearboxes.

I have and use this model lathe, which I like a lot. I actually have a thread on it here:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...no-2-h-turret-lathe-16-x6-restoration-317814/

The tail stock is a two speed power feed, which also has fwd and rev to adjust depending on which way lead screw is spinning.

The power switch on head stock is for a two speed 3 phase motor, with reverse. However I'm guessing motor has been changed, because back side pic only has one drum switch, where the original set up would require two drum switches for a two speed motor.

I'd be a little bit interested as i'm about 4.5 hours from Plano. But right now is bad timing for me. If you don't find another buyer, you can contact me, maybe I can work something out.

Attachments

• 237.jpg
    237.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 205
I have and use this model lathe, which I like a lot. I actually have a thread on it here:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...no-2-h-turret-lathe-16-x6-restoration-317814/

The tail stock is a two speed power feed, which also has fwd and rev to adjust depending on which way lead screw is spinning.

The power switch on head stock is for a two speed 3 phase motor, with reverse. However I'm guessing motor has been changed, because back side pic only has one drum switch, where the original set up would require two drum switches for a two speed motor.

I'd be a little bit interested as i'm about 4.5 hours from Plano. But right now is bad timing for me. If you don't find another buyer, you can contact me, maybe I can work something out.

Hey Texas,

I realized after your post mentioning Plano that I misspoke in my original post - it's actually in Celina, TX. In my haste to post this thread before my meeting yesterday I didn't catch it. Still, Celina is really only about 15 mins or so from Plano, so still not too far from you.

You're the only person who's expressed any interest so far - I'm willing to do whatever I can to assist you in getting this lathe, so please just let me know if you truly are interested and we can figure something out. My contact email is: [email protected]. However, I'll still be checking this thread as well!

I appreciate everyone's comments and interest. If you or anyone you know may be interested, please let me know!

S/F,

-Matt

I cant understand why people dont throw a couple of sheets of old roofing iron over machines out in the weather.Trucks and tractors too.A slop of old sump oil every time you have some for waste.and the stuff is still good years later.Even if you eventually scrap the thing,theres no cost ............although I must admit,I love the guys who take a picture of a machine in work,then move it outside for years ,then sell on ebay with the nice pictures........I know one guy got a right spanking for doing just that......the buyer spent money having pickup and shipping,and was a little bit put out when he saw the machine......even more at water in the gearboxes.

I completely agree. I actually went up there to pick up a Walker-Turner jointer and it was sitting outside as well...not pretty to look at, but I've restored worse.
IMG_20180706_182754.jpg

While there, I also asked him about this Clausing 5914; it'll be my first lathe and, no doubt, my biggest restoration challenge to date, but for $20 I couldn't say no.

IMG_20180706_182333.jpg

Luckily, the tool holder, tailstock, and cover pieces are inside the building...though I wish the cover pieces had been in place over those headstock gears :Ithankyou:

Tis a terrible affliction,to be sure......I went to look at a lathe bed in the weather like that with the express purpose of building a rifling machine..........unfortunately,a search turned up many parts,and six months later I had another semi wornout lathe,that I dont need ,and still no rifling machine .....so Im looking for another old lathe bed.

Tis a terrible affliction,to be sure......I went to look at a lathe bed in the weather like that with the express purpose of building a rifling machine..........unfortunately,a search turned up many parts,and six months later I had another semi wornout lathe,that I dont need ,and still no rifling machine .....so Im looking for another old lathe bed.

What kind of lathe bed you looking for? He's got other lathes...

That little Clausing looks to have a somewhat longer bed than what I normally see.
I had a edge planer brought to me many years ago, looks just about like that Walker Turner same size and same rust.

Yeah that Clausing is going to be quite a feat to restore for certain. But I enjoy such challenges.

The Walker-Turner, while it looks really rough, is actually in pretty good shape outside of the rust. I'll throw the pieces into my electrolysis tank after busting the loose rust off and will have it restored without too much trouble.

See if he wont throw in the solid wood table under the planer......Out here,it would be worth far more than the machines to the tossers who pay a million bucks for an apartment in an old factory,and fill it with "post-industrial" .Dont touch the paint,tho.

Back