What's new
What's new

Last Call for B&S or Hendy Dividing Head

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
My search for a period-correct dividing head for my No. 2 Universal Hendy-Norton has failed. If this post uncovers nothing I will just build a simple gear-driven rotary table, as my projects do not require dividing or indexing anyway, just simultaneous rotation.

My search for a period-correct dividing head for my No. 2 Universal Hendy-Norton has failed. If this post uncovers nothing I will just build a simple gear-driven rotary table, as my projects do not require dividing or indexing anyway, just simultaneous rotation.

You can "probably" do that at least-cost by use of a sync-belt coupled stepper rig. Seriously. The cheap "hobby" demo type ones. Just execute your one with tighter specs and a nicer grade of components - preferably NOS or even used-but-good salvage.

All the "smarts" are in the Silicon of the IC's & stepper/resolvers. No gears, gearing mesh & centerline specs to hit.

"Period correct"?

Well..no.. but you prolly ain't still wearin' high-button shoes and takin' a bath only onct a week - whether you really need a bath or not, are ye?

Uhh.. on second thought?

Don't ANSWER that last part!

Just hang a nicely-framed sepia-tone print of the old fac'try on the wall, blow it a kiss ever' shift start, and "make parts" with sumthin' modern that JFW.

WhatEVER you seek will NOT show-up until you quit lookin' anyway.

Lybarger's Corollary applies.

:D

I have a L-W Chuck company dividing head with an external drive but it is meant to be driven from the right side. I was planning on turning it around to be driven from the left side of the table and while I didn't work it all the way through, I think it would work.

I have a L-W Chuck company dividing head with an external drive but it is meant to be driven from the right side. I was planning on turning it around to be driven from the left side of the table and while I didn't work it all the way through, I think it would work.

Countershafts are legal. Idler gears inherently reverse without taking part in ratios or division. Ugly is as ugly does - the cuttin' tool and the part cut may not give a rats ass how "pretty" whatever did the indexing/dividing LOOKED.

Of course you can "MAKE it work!"

That's why hobbyists are paid two thousand dollars an hour for our "projects" when we struggled to make a thousand dollars in a whole 25 hour day whilst still in the labour force, yah?

:D

Back