What's new
What's new

Lathe Chuck storage

Froneck

Titanium
I have quite a few lathe chucks. Having 4 lathes with D1-6 spindles I have a lot of chucks for them. Chucks from 16" to 4" and every size between, some in 1/2" steps. 4 jaw Independent and independent/universal, 3 jaw in universal and universal/independent. 6 jaw universal with set-true and keeping my eye open looking for 6 jaw independent/universal. One reason is jaw size, another is adjust-ability. Yeah I probably have too many!
However most sit for a looooong time before needed, anyone have suggestions on storage to prevent rust?

I recommend you find a warm dry storage location... Like my shop. I will even exercise the jaws from time to time to confirm the chuck still functions as it should.

But seriously, you could build a wooden storage cabinet and store some dessicent with the chucks to attempt to reduce the humidity inside the cabinet. A better option might be to put a heat source in the box like a light bulb to drive off the moisture and prevent condensation (similar to a welding rod oven). Better yet, a combination of both approaches. All of these approaches result in some recurring cost but that's the nature of the problem.

Which is why i go back to storing them in my shop...

All kidding aside, i am on the hunt for a really nice D1-6 4 jaw in the 14 - 16 inch size range for my monarch 16 CY. I've been keeping an eye out on Ebay but am reluctant to buy used from there for all the obvious reasons. If you think you might want to thin the herd, please let me know.

You might want to check out a product called Barricade. It is made by Birchwood Casey primarily for firearms rust prevention. I use it on all my chucks, vee blocks, 123 blocks and mill table. Any bare iron.

I was put on to it about 20 years ago by a customer who had moved to Pennsylvania from Alaska. He said that he was a big fan of it mainly because where he lived in Alaska it was common to have what he called "salt fog" He said the salt fog was murder on non stainless firearms and that the Barricade worked well to protect them.

I live in the center of PA, my shop is warm in winter so my biggest problem is in the summer. Too often we have down pours, seems like just about every time it rains we get a short burst of down pour. Then high humidity. Many of my chucks are new and hardly used and soon they have slight rust covering. I keep them well oiled but humidity lifts the oil and gets the chuck rusty. Thanks guncrank I'll get some Barricade and try it.

A cut-off plastic barrel ( s ) with the proper depth of used motor oil.

Let it drain for a day before mounting.

A low cost, foolproof system, ... but might not be "elegant" enough for some folks.

I live in the center of PA, my shop is warm in winter so my biggest problem is in the summer. Too often we have down pours, seems like just about every time it rains we get a short burst of down pour. Then high humidity. Many of my chucks are new and hardly used and soon they have slight rust covering. I keep them well oiled but humidity lifts the oil and gets the chuck rusty. Thanks guncrank I'll get some Barricade and try it.

Fluid film is another option. It's a lanolin based rust inhibitor. Any auto parts store will carry it.

How about the old "Yooper" (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) approach ? It's tried and true for smokers as well as electrode (welding rod) storage. Get a refrigerator that has given up the ghost as far as its original purpose. It is an insulated cabinet. It has adjustable shelves. Hang a lightbulb inside the reefer and leave it on continuously. It will throw just enough heat to knock off the chill and prevent condensation. Plenty of Yoopers use old household reefers and freezers for smokers as well as 'dry rod ovens'. The price should be right for the old reefer, and you will be doing some 'repurposing' as the new buzzword goes.

As for handling lathe chucks themselves: None of us is getting any younger and our backs and fingers are not so easy to fix if damaged. At the powerplant, we had a wide assortment of lathe chucks and faceplates, from maybe 8" on up to somewhere around 24". At some point in the past, the mechanics tapped holes in the rims of the larger chucks. These were used to screw lifting eyes into. We had the luxury of a bridge crane in the plant machine shop, so picking up a heavy chuck and flying it over to the lathes was easily done. The idea of a tapping for lifting eyes in the bodies of the larger and heavier chucks always seemed like a good one to me.

A comnbination of an old reefer and either a hydraulic lift cart or portable hoist would seem like a viable way to handle both the storage/rust issue as well as moving the heavier chucks. Lining the bottom of the old reefer with 3/4" plywood and partially up the sides should insure that the chucks do not break thru the original cabinet liner.

I've been in Yooper shops years ago where there were three (3) old reefers. One had a 3" smoke pipe coming off it, and that was used for smoking fish and wild game. The next had a lead cord coming out of it, and that was the dry/warm storage for welding electrode. The last reefer in the lineup had a lead cord coming out of it, but also had a beer tap sticking out of one side. That was storage for a 1/4 or 1/2 keg of beer, on tap in the shop. Those shops were heated with shop-made wood stoves, sometimes supplemented with a waste crankcase oil drool burner. In cold weather, a speckleware pot of coffee thickened on top of the stove, and a can or two of E 7018 Low Hydrogen electrode might also be found on top of the stove. Seems like ancient history from a past life at this point for me, but the old reefer idea seems like a cheap and easy idea for dry chuck storage. It also provides a clean environment in shops where people are using grinders, welding, chipping slag, needle scaling, and doing less-than-clean shop work along with machine shop work.

i am on the hunt for a really nice D1-6 4 jaw in the 14 - 16 inch size range for my monarch 16 CY. I've been keeping an eye out on Ebay but am reluctant to buy used from there for all the obvious reasons.
Took me awhile searching E-bay but I finally scored a new 15" 4 jaw for my Monarch a couple of years ago. They pop up on occasion.

If really for long term storage, vaseline seems to be unaffected by humidity, and does a good job of rust prevention.

What I don't want is something I will need to clean off before using the chuck or else take a bath in spin-off. I have had good luck with synthetic coolant spraying it directly without any water added on metal I want to protect. It somewhat dies and gets sticky. On surfaces I didn't want to have to clean the sticky coolant off I mixed the coolant with oil and used it to cover machine tables and when needed it was easy to wipe off with a rag. I have a new unused chuck, was a sale and I purchased a few of them, have the back plate but didn't mount it yet. Oddly it's like new without any hint of rust yet I got about 10 or 15 years ago. It's not coated with anything I can detect such as grease or oil, it's dry and shinny. Needing to do some mill work on the ends of shafts I simply strap clamped it to the mill table. It must have something to keep it from rusting. I'm sure it will wear off with use.

I have a ventless gas wall heater in my garage which produces humidity, therefore I run a dehumidifier in winter AND summer. It really seems to make a difference on rust. My garage is only 24'x30' so a relatively small dehumidifier is all that is required.

If really for long term storage, vaseline seems to be unaffected by humidity, and does a good job of rust prevention.
FWIW Starrett M1 is vaseline and solvent in an aerosol can, mixed with some lanolin and other preservatives. Woks great.

My problem is not rust, I'm looking at a pile of chucks and need storage ideas.

A dealer I frequent has a rack welded up of angle iron that resembles a rack of bowling balls, except full of chucks.

My chucks all sit on a shelf on the wall like tires sit on racks at the tire store and is over the tailstock area - BUT the biggest one is only 8 or 10 inches.

Your storage solution will be driven by how much you can comfortably lift - and how much space you have.

I've seen chuck storage on trees like they store lifting free-weights

Back