What's new
What's new

Lathe Chuck and tool post sizing

skipd1

Cast Iron
I have a recent acquisition of a 1938 Hendey 12x30 gearhead lathe and I want to correctly size the chuck and quick change tool post for it. This machine is an RS or raised swing model and its maximum swing is 14 1/2 inches. The original purchase invoice in 1938 showed it shipped with a 10 inch 3 jaw chuck. The person I purchased it from included a new 8" 3 jaw and I am wondering if the 10 inch would be a better choice. I also assume a 10 inch 4 jaw would also work? I also assume that a CXA tool post size is okay as well?

Skipd1

Check the actual height from the top of your compound to your spindle center. It's the tool height that is the determining factor for tool posts, not the swing. I confidently bought a BXA for my 13" Sheldon and immediately had to make a riser block.

...Not as if you are only allowed to ever own but ONE chuck, ONE collet system, or even just ONE type of toolpost...

Yup, anybody who is serious about machining is going to end up with more than one chuck in the arsenal.

I think the OP is confused--he posted this question over on Home Shop Machinist; got a dog's breakfast
of answers and came here to straighten things out. :D He got a brand new chuck with the lathe; he
should run with that for a while and figure out it suits his needs, then add what he feels is best for the work
he's doing. I think it would be dumb to give up a good 8" chuck to try something else...

I agree with Thermite. There should be more than one chuck in the arsenal. I have the 12 and 14" Hendeys. All the chuck sizes from 12" to 5" also have a couple of 4" but I chuck them not fitted to the spindle. All other have D1-6 spindle mount. 12" will fit but it's primarily for my 16" P&W. All my scroll chucks have 2 piece jaws. The smaller chucks are good to have because the jaws are smaller, they will chuck smaller ID's

Back