What's new
What's new

Lathe i.d.?? Antique

minimonsta22

Plastic
Just got this lathe for free.. Want to see if its worth doing anything with. I figured knowing exactly what it is would be a good start. No markings anywhere i can see from a quick visual look. It seems to have ahad a blueish gray color. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 236
Maybe Sheldon - knowing exactly what you have probably would be better enabled by some pertinent dimensions - and much larger photos

Just got this lathe for free.. Want to see if its worth doing anything with. I figured knowing exactly what it is would be a good start. No markings anywhere i can see from a quick visual look. It seems to have ahad a blueish gray color. Any help would be much appreciated.

TS hints at some of Sebastian's earliest work.

Move the carriage clear to each end and look at the front, vertical face of the bed casting for cast-in markings.

Some new developments and details. Although I was convinced that this was indeed an 8" sheldon lathe from the pictures on lathe.uk.co. I did find this tag on the threading chart on the gearbox cover that reads "monarch lathe company". The lathe ways are also 8" wide by 48" long. Is this a monarch lathe for sure?

Attachments

• IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0159 (1).jpg
    IMG_0159 (1).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 167
Got a little more info after cleaning and some definite clarification. On the tailstock side of the ways, hidden under many years of dirt and grime is stamped "inspected by Carl Clark K279" Can anyone interpret this? What could a lathe like this be worth?

I know this is a couple years old, but is there anyway you can give me some dimensions off of the thread index dial that you have on this machine please minimonsta22? I have the exact same lathe that i use often but i dont have the thread dial and need to make one. Mainly need the gear diameter, thickness, and number of teeth, and maybe the dimension from the bolt hole down to the top of the gear.

A few pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance

Don't hold your breath - he last visited the forum Fall 2018

I know this is a couple years old, but is there anyway you can give me some dimensions off of the thread index dial that you have on this machine please minimonsta22? I have the exact same lathe that i use often but i dont have the thread dial and need to make one. Mainly need the gear diameter, thickness, and number of teeth, and maybe the dimension from the bolt hole down to the top of the gear.

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

Hi Vanhammer,

You only need multiply your lead-screw pitch by 4 to get the number of teeth for a standard thread dial having 8 divisions - 4 numbered. Example: my Sheldon has an 8 pitch lead-screw. My thread dial has a 32 tooth worm gear. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Bob

Back