What's new
What's new

Lathe ID

Jcorcoran

Plastic
Hi all
I’m Brand new to the site.
I’ve just acquired my first lathe. I’m trying to get some information on it’s age and operation. I’m currently just cleaning everything and trying to find it a home in my garage.
The lathe has a tag that says Vonnegut Hardware. I assume that they sold the lathe.
It’s a lodge and Shipley. I looked for the serial number in the right rear bee ways and nothing. Is there another location to check for the serial number.
Also how do I post photos?
Thanks

Is there another location to check for the serial number.

They made lathes for almost 90 years starting in 1893 so it could be most anything that looked like a lathe

In the very early days it (the serial) was cross wise on a "closing piece" part of the bed casting at extreme right end.

Later all the bed castings were open there and the serial moved further to rear in between two rear vees

Here is a biggie from the closed tail / four vee ways days

00u0u_kcwB7Pqbblj_1200x900.jpg00w0w_NrAeYwhPsO_1200x900.jpg

b5a6f2b9bcfab59d6a1e8fbf90df759b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1c673620619e1de4898c82cb06bf52af.jpg

This drive is mounted above the headstock and is connected to an electric motor

I am trying to find any information on lubrications and adjustments. As I would like to tear down,clean,and check all the components before use it

I am trying to find any information on lubrications and adjustments. As I would like to tear down,clean,and check all the components before use it

Around early teens. Called a FIVE STEP - the number of steps on the spindle "cone" pulley

Mostly by then, they were THREE STEP with double back gear ratios like here from 1916

L&Spg26.jpg

Here is a FIVE STEP from 1910 - it has some older features than yours - like the threading / feeding gear box controls on the left end

073.jpg072.jpg

Lube? spindle oil (I'd suggest Mobil Velocite 10) and ISO 68 "hydraulic oil" in the dozen or so "oiling" holes - which being open ended tubes are often plugged up. Eventually, you will want some "way oil" (I'd suggest Mobil Vactra 2) for the bed ways and cross slide

I'd imagine VERY LITTLE in the way of "adjustment" is available. Its either okay or needs to be fixed

Here is what passed for a "manual" in 1921 - its sort of like they could not think of anything else to write down

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2104/6068.pdf

A look at your Post #8 photo suggests you have a 14" L&S - the QC chart has B 14 stamped on it

Last edited:
68c8e29372e27538c7f6ddcf1d582b4e.jpg

This number is stamped on the carriage top right corner. I noticed it on another person’s lathe photos. Not sure if it means anything. Or if it’s a part number.

What is the meaning of the stamping on the bottom of the thread placard.
8-14

Maybe January 8 1914?

I looked at the photos you posted and a brochure/catalog from 1916. I see a lathe that closely matches mine.
By the way the cleaning is going well. I’m being careful as I can not to break anything as remove components

from 1916

Except I think you will find that it is too early to have the "double nose spindle" found on all the 1916 machines

Here is that page from 1916. You can't see the threads because they are inside the largest feature

L&Spg9.jpg

Not having this later spindle just means it has an ordinary threaded spindle nose like this from 1910

068.jpg068crop1.jpg

Back