What's new
What's new

Lathe ID help Please

Lathe ID

Thanks for all the pix. From what I see; the previous owner put a massive effort into restoring/improving this lathe. He/they must have known it was a great platform of capabilities or wouldn't have done it. One of the first things we notice is the motor is at the base, yet drives drives the overhead cones as used. The fixture is well thought out and sound to a point. A point to where.. the gears under the cover appear to be steel of different pitch. All of this had to be worked out to the gear box to the feed screws and shaft. The apron has a "made" guard to protect the feed shafts from chips etc. The tail stock doesn't look original but has been there a very long time. It locks a different way by some semi circular handle which fits.
It is a gap bed lathe which doesn't appear useful with that chuck. It would be useful with a face plate. The guy made a lock ring behind the chuck back plate, so it could run in reverse.

Thanks for all the pix. From what I see; the previous owner put a massive effort into restoring/improving this lathe. He/they must have known it was a great platform of capabilities or wouldn't have done it. One of the first things we notice is the motor is at the base, yet drives drives the overhead cones as used. The fixture is well thought out and sound to a point. A point to where.. the gears under the cover appear to be steel of different pitch. All of this had to be worked out to the gear box to the feed screws and shaft. The apron has a "made" guard to protect the feed shafts from chips etc. The tail stock doesn't look original but has been there a very long time. It locks a different way by some semi circular handle which fits.
It is a gap bed lathe which doesn't appear useful with that chuck. It would be useful with a face plate. The guy made a lock ring behind the chuck back plate, so it could run in reverse.

Massive effort? He added a rear mounted countershaft, and replaced a little aluminum cover over the screw. Everything else looks original, even the L-series take up ring on the spindle.

I swear I have seen this model of lathe before- German or English, intra-war most likely.

allan

Thanks kitno455. It is always good for someone to identify the machine. I suppose "massive" is a relative term but somebody did a whole lot of work. This lathe has been highly modified as any one of the pix shows. I have no reason for an argument, only a dialog. So that overhead fixture comes about easy and "L" long taper came between the wars. Okay but I have L0 and L00 and they don't look like that. The ring is self ejecting the chuck off the long taper/key. We can see that this one has a lock ring and even the threads through one pin spanner hole of the back plate. This means nothing compared to the larger view. The "channel iron" was cut and built special for this lathe. It appears an overhead motor was considered but way tall, so he redesigned for base mount. The head uses drip oilers yet the spindle had been removed to change the cone. Do we not see that and the newer belting ? It is stuff like that and other things. Every picture tells a story. I could mention the power drive shaft and how it is splined further than it needs to be. That guy, man. The leadscrew looks different than an original. The Plate of gear box has been removed and modified (with phillips mounting screws). This tells us something too. Labor of love, whatever, but time overwhelms everything.
Only appreciation.

Well, I see nothing "heavily modified" at all, just a few things done to keep an old machine running.

It's a 2 step cone,not uncommon....it's a l spindle, again not uncommon, belting is a consumable, etc..the power feed shaft is splined as much as it needs to be to fit into the mating gearbox stub...one continues to drive the apron.

And I do not know who "we" is...:)

Last edited:
thanks for the help so far guys. I think i've looked at every picture on the net, no match so far. I'm going to take a closer look at it today to try to find some numbers or anything else to id it. Hard to believe that they wouldnt stamp a name or number into the bed or headstock. Something might be covered in paint.

Thanks kitno455. It is always good for someone to identify the machine. I suppose "massive" is a relative term but somebody did a whole lot of work. This lathe has been highly modified as any one of the pix shows. I have no reason for an argument, only a dialog. So that overhead fixture comes about easy and "L" long taper came between the wars. Okay but I have L0 and L00 and they don't look like that. The ring is self ejecting the chuck off the long taper/key. We can see that this one has a lock ring and even the threads through one pin spanner hole of the back plate. This means nothing compared to the larger view. The "channel iron" was cut and built special for this lathe. It appears an overhead motor was considered but way tall, so he redesigned for base mount. The head uses drip oilers yet the spindle had been removed to change the cone. Do we not see that and the newer belting ? It is stuff like that and other things. Every picture tells a story. I could mention the power drive shaft and how it is splined further than it needs to be. That guy, man. The leadscrew looks different than an original. The Plate of gear box has been removed and modified (with phillips mounting screws). This tells us something too. Labor of love, whatever, but time overwhelms everything.
Only appreciation.

Uh... what?

It's an old lathe, probably European, that someone built a drive system for. Everything else looks original, including the L taper spindle.

Seems that, if you know what type of screws the manufacturer used on the gearbox and what the leadscrew "should" look like, you ought to be able to tell all of us who manufactured the machine.

Andy

Finding out what type of screw threads are original to the machine Metric ,British Standard Whitworth ,or U.S. standard would help narrow the field .
Parts made to Metric dimensions and Module pitch gearing rather than diametral pitch would tend to indicate a European machine even if the lead screws aren’t .
There were some lathes imported into Canada in the 1950 s or 60 s that were made in India.
They were made to an older designs something like that .
I can’t say that that this is one of them since it haven’t seen one in over 30 years but one machine I have of a newer design from the 1970 s has BSW threads on it with parts made to inch dimensions .
Later models were all metric.
Regards,
Jim

Finding out what type of screw threads are original to the machine Metric ,British Standard Whitworth ,or U.S. standard would help narrow the field .
Parts made to Metric dimensions and Module pitch gearing rather than diametral pitch would tend to indicate a European machine even if the lead screws aren’t .
There were some lathes imported into Canada in the 1950 s or 60 s that were made in India.
They were made to an older designs something like that .
I can’t say that that this is one of them since it haven’t seen one in over 30 years but one machine I have of a newer design from the 1970 s has BSW threads on it with parts made to inch dimensions .
Later models were all metric.
Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim. I will look into that. From the research ive done so far, this lathes seems to me, a novice, to have some features on the apron that emerged on lathes in the 50's, yet its not a geared head. I'm not sure that really means anything, but i'm wondering if the apron/carriage assy was changed.

I will get that pic shortly.

One thing that seems odd to me is the plastic knob on the carriage, and plastic spacer? on the cone pulley. Im sure over the last 80 years thos could have been repair parts though.

Possibly "Bakelite" or similar phenolic which has been around for a very long time.

Ps- as another little detail you might include a close up pic of the cross feed dial to show how it is graduated.

There appears to be two riveted on tags on the end cover, might be something under the paint, but be careful....check for anything on the the pedestal or the leg too.

There appears to be two riveted on tags on the end cover, might be something under the paint, but be careful....check for anything on the the pedestal or the leg too.

those are repair splice plates. If i keep this lathe i will probably braze them for a proper repair. Theres a lot of paint and putty on this lathe that could be hiding something. I will have to dig deeper. Thank you again for your help. This is driving me nuts lol

Look into CMT (Canadian Machine Tools) and Mcdougall connections...both used that style of tailstock lock, but I too am betting on Germanic origin....tons of stuff apparently was imported into Canada....some pretty cool stuff pops up.

Back