What's new
What's new

Lathe Identification

maccas

Plastic
Hello,

I recently inherited an old lathe from my late Grandfather and i've made it my life's mission to discover the maker.

I've emailed lathes.co.uk with images and the chap there suggested it was made between 1927 and 1940 and suggested it was German or Eastern European.

I will add some pictures to this thread later.

I hope this is in the right section!

Kind regards,

Dan

Hello,

I recently inherited an old lathe from my late Grandfather and i've made it my life's mission to discover the maker.

I've emailed lathes.co.uk with images and the chap there suggested it was made between 1927 and 1940 and suggested it was German or Eastern European.

Kind regards,

Dan

My opinion is you posted your enquiry in the best place on the web for identification. There are some very knowledgable people in this forum. From both sides of the pond and Australia. Worldwide. Some close up pictures and pictures of the whole lathe would be good. Also the quick change gearbox would help.
In case your new to lathes it's that transmission on the front with the long threaded rod. I apologize if I'm underestimating your knowledge.

I'm more of a spectator.

IMAG4489.jpg

Dan
Get pictures of the parts in the boxes if you can. It looks like you have a turret tailstock in addition to the regular tailstock. Any tags or emblems and stamped serial numbers will help identify it.
Look for stamped numbers on the right end, on the flat area between the v ways.
Similar to a South bend. But not S.B.

Intra-war German, possibly 'badge-engineered' to appear British. It is not one of the common makers like Fischer, L&G or Ehrlich.

allan

I don't see much similarity with South Bend at all. This looks like a gap-bed lathe, it has both leadscrew and feed rod and what looks like the feed direction lever inside the headstock.

Paolo

This is great thank you very much! I did scour every page of lathes. Co. Uk and couldn't see one the same.

I've had it nearly 2 years now, things I have found thus far:

It is backgeared
The main bearings are the bronze tapered bush type with c-spanner type adjustment
The cross feed dial is in metric
It has a gap bed and a large face plate
It has axial and powered cross feed separate to the lead screw, with dog clutch style auto-disengage.
3 speeds on powered cross feed and axial feed
Leadscrew is in inches (uses 127 tooth gear) to convert to metric
It has a fixed steady
8 inch union 4 jaw chuck
10 inch 3 jaw unknown brand with quick release jaws.
Inverted ways.
There is a brass plaque with leadscrew thread pitches on. All in english!

I'll get some better pictures tonight. I'd love to find out more! My grandad couldn't remember where he got it from.

Thank you!

Serial number is 2472, which has been stamped in many places on the lathe, under the apron etc. I'm part way through cleaning it all up and painting it. The chip tray isn't standard I don't think.

How on earth do you add pictures to this site? I've tried the various links from Flickr, tried uploading directly from my pc, nothing seems to work.

Dan

Figured out the attaching pictures now. Phew. I'll add several more as I go along.

IMG_20210120_093644.jpg

Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_204904.jpg
    IMG_20210117_204904.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 85
Apron and associated gearing. Half nuts have adjustable gib strip. powered feed rod drives x and y directions via pull out knob and lever on the front of the apron. There's also another pull out knob that when you turn prevents the power being put on in the wrong direction if that makes sense. All very nicely made. All threads are metric apart from the leadscrew which is imperial. I have the 127 tooth gear to convert back to metric threads.
IMG_20210126_103412.jpg
IMG_20210126_103435.jpg
IMG_20210126_103401.jpg

Tailstock. Has a lever lock instead of a nut to lock it in position on the bed. Position of tailstock is adjustable for turning tapers and for setting up parallel turning between centres. No locknut on this though and with the backlash in the threaded rod, it can move mid turning if knocked. MT2 taper in the tailstock bore. Very substantial lump for the tailstock.
IMG_20210126_103334.jpg
IMG_20210126_103319.jpg

Gearbox that sits in the headstock for powered feed. Has 4 positions. Neutral, longitudinal feed: 0.7mm / rev, 0.33mm / rev and 0.15mm / rev. Facing feed is 2/3rds of longitudinal feed. Gearbox is chain driven from some gears off the main spindle. Forward and reverse are dealt with by a tumbler on the headstock.

IMG_20210126_103856.jpg
IMG_20210126_103633.jpg

Headstock. Tapered adjustable bronze bushes. 3 speed change on flat belts and also back-geared.

IMG_20210126_103605.jpg
IMG_20210126_103612.jpg

If anyone spots anything that could help determine the original manufacturer I'd be most pleased.

Dan

Lathe make

Hello,

Kind regards,

Dan

Hi Dan

You have a Krause Co from Austria. I purchased on very recently and until I came across your post I could not find any other one. Mine was unfortunately butchered by a previous owner and I must say if I didn’t come across your post I would have no reference to some of the parts.

Regards
Sidney

Back