What's new
What's new

Lathe identification

AntonC

Plastic
Hi all

I'm relatively new to machining, and I've been on the lookout locally for tools, and I saw this for sale.
Can anyone identify it? The photos are not very clear, and before I follow up, I'd like to know some more about it, or at least if anyone recognises the logo.

Thanks!

Anton

58695726_10155882183247047_2868116071494189056_n.jpg

Hi all

I'm relatively new to machining, and I've been on the lookout locally for tools, and I saw this for sale.
Can anyone identify it? The photos are not very clear, and before I follow up, I'd like to know some more about it, or at least if anyone recognises the logo.

Thanks!

Anton

View attachment 261265

Looks like an early R&D prototype that mutated into these:

https://www.ebay.com/i/123720142342...MI9JqvgrW_4wIVkYvICh1PGwfpEAQYBCABEgJLyvD_BwE

Which by reputation and long use, proved more successful at their assigned tasking.

:(

Short answer? Run, do not walk....

Given the flat ways, might this not be an early one of the line of lathes named after a Greek God?

The Greek God association we're not to discuss - we're an "Industrial" forum and those that foot the bill would care that the subject matter remains industrial.

Still, it looks old, possibly now to be considered antique, and as such we might give it a go IF we don't mention the name outright.

Maybe henceforth, unless someone comes up with the actual manufacturer, we can call this one "Lathe who should not be named?"

Joe in NH

Sounds like fun.

Hey, new users have to start SOMEWHERE. What I saw beats a Craftsman 109 lathe, which is where I began.

Joe in NH

I surely KNEW the difference long before 1968.. but.. had to operate out of "efficiency" apartments, stairs not lifts, the only way to keep chips from carburettor re-work out of the carpet, bedclothes, GF's navel and geography of related persuasions being to do the machining in a bathroom shower stall or over the bath tub for fast, easy, and thorough clean-up

So a 90 pound weakling LSO was negotiated off Sears Landmark Store Manager on the basis of my $99 dollars vs the $600-plus list price (it had never made a chip! The flash rust all over the bed was probably from well-meaning "store display" cleaners and industrial versions of Windex -hardly a good substitute for way oil!).

That was meant to clear the terrible eyesore it had become out of his store in favour of displaying something else he could actually SELL a few of. Saber-saws were all the rage, that era, for example.

That collitch Marketing course had came in handy after all. Or so I thought, 'coz about the third visit, once he realized I was NOT going to go over $100 bucks, the M6, 6" X 18" became MY curse, rather than his ... for $99.

Another $110 or so, brand-new parts still in the channels, and I had face/driver plate, centers, Jacobs on #1 & #2 , a 4-J Chuck-Shaped-Object, lantern post with LH, straight, RH holders, and even the two busitid plated Zamak handles sorted, cross and compound.

If I had to guess, that Sears Store Manager had more than just the one Marketing Course to have beaten me into taking it AND paying anything at all for it. Brand new. Sort-of.

Now.. why was it a curse - given it started with ZERO wear?

Well.. Weber, Carter, SU, DelOrto, Solex, Zenith carb jets, metering rods & c. are finicky items when the goal is improvement, not just maintenance.

TWICE that mild cheese rectangular bed was lapped with the aid of a precision reference.

Each go was good for about 40 hours of actual use, then accuracy started to suffer. It wasn't JUST the bed. The carriage, cross, compound, TS were also built out of a first-cousin to cheese.

It ATE MY SCARCE TIME! And I could NOT buy that time back.

Frack that for a game of sojers!

:(

Moved over to Fuel Injection where burning a new PROM got better results, anyway!

:D

Agreed - I do have more time than money at the moment, but that time is still valuable to -me-.

I have since seen some more pics of the alleged 'LSO', and it looks pretty rough. They'll probably do what some of the 'antique' stores around here do - they'll paint it with chalk 'paint' and sell it as a piece of 'vintage' living room decor.

Also - turns out that with what they want for it, I could (excluding importing), get a basic Taig setup......

Back