What's new
What's new

Lathe identification

Formo19

Plastic
I have inherited a lathe...and was wondering if someone out there can identify it..and provide details..for example how old it is, what make it is and what its worth.. first problem, is how do you post a picture on this site. ?..I'm new to this site! - See below for the picture... I was able to post it now!!!

Last edited:
I have inherited a lathe...and was wondering if someone out there can identify it..and provide details..for example how old it is, what make it is and what its worth.. first problem, is how do you post a picture on this site. ?..I'm new to this site!

Site software is a little convoluted. First posts in a thread, for some reason seem to be SNAFU.

If you can still edit the post, do that, and add the picture from whatever source you have, whether that be from your computer, or stored on a third party like photobucket.

If you cannot edit the first post, add the photos the normal way (clicking the "Insert Image" logo above, third from last in the row)in a second post.

Not sure what the time limit is for editing, I think it's like, 24 hours, but eventually you will be locked out from editing your posts on a timer.

Lathe Identification

Hi... Hey, we inherited this lathe.. can anyone tell me what make, size and maybe what you think it is worth and how old you think it is.. We know nothing about lathes and was hoping that this site would help us out. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210508_113520.jpg
    20210508_113520.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 231
It’s very old. I’m not sure but it looks like one of them “home shop” lathes.
The good news is it has a thread dial.
Bad news is it’s a change gear lathe and is that a chuck out of the bed near the headstock, if so that really kills any value it had

looks a bit like a logan some were sold by wards under the power kraft brand i believe but its more then likely a Clausing 100 Series

logan.jpgclas.jpg

Yes... it does look like that... hmmmm..if so, at least maybe we can attach a name brand to it... Thanks..!

Clausing is a good name-brand. Still in business, may even have parts, though this is a very early model.
Definitely useful. The change-gears are for threading, which is a small part of the usage for many hobbyists.
It does appear to have automatic feed (star wheel on the apron) which is a plus - not common on change-gear lathes.
If you got a stack of gears with it (and other accessories) then good for you.
At any rate, it appears to have been well cared for. definitely a keeper.

That's awesome....! taking from all the responses so far, I would assume that it is a Clausing... and yes, there are a whole bunch of parts that came with it - and yes, it had been taken well cared for - as I have been told...as well, I have been told that it has all the parts to convert to a wood and plastic as well. I still welcome more responses to my post as it seems so interesting to me!... and the knowledge out there on this site is incredible and very very much appreciated...!!!! What do you think that this would be worth if we decide to sell it, as no one in our family knows how to work it... :( much that we would love to keep it in the family.

Prices vary by region and the included tooling. Not sure what the market for vintage machines is in BC, but here (Texas) that would bring $1000-$1200 easily, more depending on the tooling including. Maybe add a photo of the tooling and we can identify what you have

For sure... I will provide more pictures for you... it's at my parents house - so I'll get more photos for you within the next few days. Thanks so much for all your help so far.. it's been amazing! :)

20210508_113210.jpg20210508_113230.jpg

Here are a few more pictures in helping identifying the lathe - I will also get more photos of all the tools/parts/accessories that has come with it..

To learn about running the lathe find a copy of the South Bend booklet "How To Run A Lathe". Copies on line I believe. If you want to keep in in the family and have a useful tool this is a good place to start.

Hi.... here are the few more photos of the accessories and parts that come with it.. take a look and let me know if anything is of value? 20210515_135006.jpg20210515_135024.jpg20210515_135051.jpg

vary cool you got a keeper there now get were it needs to be clean it up and get her oiled and start making some chips

I see how to run a lathe is only a preview on archive.org.
Internet Archive Search: creator:"South Bend Lathe Works"
but the older version is readable on line that covers much of the same information most of it will apply to your lathe with some minor differences .
First year lathe work prepared for students in technical, manual training, and trade schools, and for the apprentice in the shop : South Bend Lathe Works, South Bend, Ind : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
There may also be a book on your lathe by Clausing available somewhere as a reprint for a fee that you could order.
I didn't check to see what was available on the Vintage Machinery Site.
That would be a great lathe for someone to learn if someone in your family was interested since it has a lot of the basic equipment .
It might not bring a great deal of money if you sold it now but finding another one with the same equipment and in reasonable condition at some point later on might take considerable effort and more money .
If there is some chance that you or someone in the family would be interested in learning at some point in the future as has been mentioned it might be worth hanging on to.
Jim
P.S this is available on Vintage machinery for a slightly different model than yours
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/181/19760.pdf

Clausing Industrial, Inc. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Back