What's new
What's new

Lathe Refreshment

I like the way he supported the apron in place to remove the saddle with a square tube. I am getting closer to this step and appreciate the solution.
Does anyone know what he put on the old paint to make it brittle so it could be hammered off? Looks like he rubbed something on it that required a good filtered mask.

I can't resist this: Using a scaling hammer to take off the old paint & filler must mean the guy was refinishing with "Hammertone Enamel".

I do not think the liquid paint stripper the guy used was what made the old paint brittle. Rather, a layer of some kind of "filler" is what was brittle.

I may be off base, but in watching the fellow check flatness on the parts on the surface plate, it looked like he had the green dye on really heavy. It looked like the green paste dye was "paddled" onto the surface plate, which would give an erroneous contact pattern. I never took a formal scraping class (and would like to), but at the powerplant, when we scraped in flat thrust bearing shoes, we applied the Prussian Blue with tissue paper or a rubber roller, and a little mineral spirits to thin it. We never had more than a kind of "haze" of Prussian Blue on the surface plates.

The lathe in the youtube is interesting in its own right. Its appearance is somewhat reminiscent of either a Hendey or a Holbrook to some extent, including the "Norton" style quick change box. I wonder if the lathe was something built within the Soviet Union ?

Joe,

I am of Slovak heritage so the name sounded Eastern European. Upon further investigation the lathe owners first name is a common Polish name. It is very likely the lathe came from that area. Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic also made all kinds of machine tools, directly south of Poland.

History

Paul

Joe,

I am of Slovak heritage so the name sounded Eastern European. Upon further investigation the lathe owners first name is a common Polish name. It is very likely the lathe came from that area. Czechoslovakia / Czech Republic also made all kinds of machine tools, directly south of Poland.

History

Paul

" TOS " was/is a well known Czech lathe maker. It could be an early version of one of their machines.

Regards Tyrone.

I had been thinking maybe it was a Tos also .
The thick coating of relatively easy to chip filler and the colour of the red primer that are on the lathe look similar in some ways to my 1980 s vintage Tos Mill and Tos Cutter Grinder .
There is some Tos history on Tony’s site and also on on this page 80 year history | Trens that I found in a Google image search I tried.
I didn’t see a match for the lathe so far but that doesn’t mean the lathe in the video it isn’t a Tos.
I have a feeling I may have seen a used one in a at a dealer’s warehouse at some time but I’m not sure.
Someone who if fluent in some of the former Soviet Block countries’ languages might turn up something searching on Google.cz or Google.pl for example .
Regards,
Jim

Looks a bit like the Tarnow (Czech?) I was thinking about buying some years ago - the company's still going, making anti-aircraft guns etc.

Dave H. (the other one0

Back