What's new
What's new

Lathes on Facebook

If you have lots of time on you hands, might be a good deal if you repair them and repaint them as antique. But as an operator machine, theses seems to not have any auto feed for threading and it reduce their value a lot. But if a lot of tools come with them, you might be able to sell them in part on Ebay, and just keep what you want. But keep in mind they are extremely heavy, and will not carry themselves...

Good luck

If you have lots of time on you hands, might be a good deal if you repair them and repaint them as antique. But as an operator machine, theses seems to not have any auto feed for threading and it reduce their value a lot. But if a lot of tools come with them, you might be able to sell them in part on Ebay, and just keep what you want. But keep in mind they are extremely heavy, and will not carry themselves...

Good luck

Pardon ?....

For that price, if they were closer I'd foster them to a better home. They all look to be pre-1900. They seem too clean compared to what normally pops up, like a collector passed-on and the family pushed them all against a wall.

Probably they all will thread - most metal lathes can or will since for 200 years that has kind of been a salient point of metal lathes.

Question is: do you want to go there? Best answer is: it depends.

I kind of get a kick from using a 150 year old machine and achieving 0.001. They still work. Can they do 0.0001? No way in heck. And in the using one develops "skills" to offset the 150 years of wear and inconsistency. Like don't tighten that chuck where the paint mark is because a tooth is missing and one jaw will move without all the rest moving to follow.

As in you "know" your machine. Your machine works with you just as you work with it. You have a much more "interactive" machining session and in the doing become something more than just a mark counter/wheel turner/chucker-upper/switch turner on-ner.

I could call it a "craftsmanship" sort of relationship. Similar to hewing with an axe. The craftsman expresses himself with the axe and yields something far greater than merely removing wood chips to a pattern or dimension. I'm not sure a craftsman can really express how and what he does, any more than I can express how and what I do when I use the antique lathe.

At least part of the challenge IS the challenge. And part of the reward is overcoming the challenges.

But there is also the thought of the history. How many hands put their fingers on the ball-cranks and went with the same objective. How many sons learned at the knee of their masters in the same peripheral space to achieve the same thing. How long did it sit between uses since that "other" lathe was found "more useful, easier, more consistent" in it output? Big emphasis on the "easier" since that is human nature.

Machine work is not always about output - its certainly about getting from A to B, usually but not always the easiest way possible. And - in their way - these machines do that in style - and with a certain pinache.

But its not for everybody...we do need the producers to support the few of us who deal more exclusively in pinache.

Joe in NH

Edit to a different subject: The small lathe between two others perhaps second in line as the stack is arranged MAY be a Ames Chicopee Tool-maker's lathe of common discussion here. The tailstock is different - perhaps a late created model - but parts of the lathe appear similar including dovetails on the upper surface of the carriage for attachment of "devices" - a convention not usually followed on a lathe of only 10 inch swing.

Probably they all will thread - most metal lathes can or will since for 200 years that has kind of been a salient point of metal lathes.

Question is: do you want to go there? Best answer is: it depends.

I kind of get a kick from using a 150 year old machine and achieving 0.001. They still work. Can they do 0.0001? No way in heck. And in the using one develops "skills" to offset the 150 years of wear and inconsistency. Like don't tighten that chuck where the paint mark is because a tooth is missing and one jaw will move without all the rest moving to follow.

As in you "know" your machine. Your machine works with you just as you work with it. You have a much more "interactive" machining session and in the doing become something more than just a mark counter/wheel turner/chucker-upper/switch turner on-ner.

I could call it a "craftsmanship" sort of relationship. Similar to hewing with an axe. The craftsman expresses himself with the axe and yields something far greater than merely removing wood chips to a pattern or dimension. I'm not sure a craftsman can really express how and what he does, any more than I can express how and what I do when I use the antique lathe.

At least part of the challenge IS the challenge. And part of the reward is overcoming the challenges.

But there is also the thought of the history. How many hands put their fingers on the ball-cranks and went with the same objective. How many sons learned at the knee of their masters in the same peripheral space to achieve the same thing. How long did it sit between uses since that "other" lathe was found "more useful, easier, more consistent" in it output? Big emphasis on the "easier" since that is human nature.

Machine work is not always about output - its certainly about getting from A to B, usually but not always the easiest way possible. And - in their way - these machines do that in style - and with a certain pinache.

But its not for everybody...we do need the producers to support the few of us who deal more exclusively in pinache.

Joe in NH

Edit to a different subject: The small lathe between two others perhaps second in line as the stack is arranged MAY be a Ames Chicopee Tool-maker's lathe of common discussion here. The tailstock is different - perhaps a late created model - but parts of the lathe appear similar including dovetails on the upper surface of the carriage for attachment of "devices" - a convention not usually followed on a lathe of only 10 inch swing.

Joe,
I was studying the pictures of that particular lathe of which I too thought looked a bit like a Chicopee Ames lathe but it actually holds more resemblance to another lathe I own which I originally believed to be a kit of sorts... A beautiful hand engraved tag resides on mine that reads J.W Miller Youngstown Born 1888 ... I was interested in finding out more from the guy but I don’t do Facebook...

Joe,
I was studying the pictures of that particular lathe of which I too thought looked a bit like a Chicopee Ames lathe but it actually holds more resemblance to another lathe I own which I originally believed to be a kit of sorts... A beautiful hand engraved tag resides on mine that reads J.W Miller Youngstown Born 1888 ... I was interested in finding out more from the guy but I don’t do Facebook...

I don't really do facebook myself simply because of the political aspirations of the principles - I sort of try to stay away from tweeking their censors and release my information to them on a "need to know" basis - and use facebook marketplace (FBM) alone for my own observations/queries.

The marketplace is entered once you've registered yourself "on" facebook first. Even so, it can take upwards of a week or more for your interest in FBM to become noted - and your ability to actually respond to items for sale to be enabled. During expansion into FBM they actively encourage you to "fill out your blanks" (data mining) before the FBM door opens. And they let you "hang" (delay) hoping your anticipation greases your desire to release yet more information and somehow make FBM work. Like there is some sort of minimum "threshold" of information required? Patience is a virtue (and a privacy preserver) here.

This all started for me with finding a Lathe & Morse Maker lathe on FBM and while I don't particularly need a THIRD lathe of this ilk, I was happy to be an intermediary between a buyer & seller and "save" another early lathe from the leg stealers. The L&M pattern legs are particularly prized being somewhat "retro" even for 1866.

Still, and to my point. I don't feed their beast. I use FBM for MY use and interest - and let them play their little political censorship games elsewhere.

I have had no repercussions on my willfully "limiting" content entry. Its still a free country.

Joe in NH

Back