What's new
What's new

LeBlond Lathe, help identify and find some parts

jchealey

Plastic
I have a LeBlond Regal lathe that has a serial number of C8714. trying to figure out about what year that is.
I am going to need a new 3 chuck and an adaptor to a faceplate. It has a 00 taper . I read on here that people are still making adaptors for this lathe but I have not connected yet. Any hints on who?
thanks
Jerry

trying to figure out about what year that is

Christmas 1950

8716 was the close out for 1950

"C" says 15"

I think one of the threads on the (??) (about an 8" chuck) has a link to what Bison offers as to size and particular "L" type back, but I would imagine such things are fairly dear to buy

Post #3 here - image has two sizes in L00.

L1 Taper Chucks

have fun

This seller has three sizes of L00 adapter plates with free shipping. I bought a couple of the 8 inch and they are nice quality, made in Japan.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr..._TitleDesc=0&_osacat=258384&_odkw=L00+adapter

You might be able to get a cheap Chinese chuck in combination with an L00 adapter for a lower price than the Japanese adapter and a separate chuck if you want to keep the cost down.

Clausing and Rockwell also used L00, so there are several kinds of old L00 faceplates on eBay, but maybe smaller than you want.

Larry

That was fast suggestions. So now I have a 15" lathe. They guy that sold it to me thought it was a 13". And I clicked the link to ebay to see all those choices of adaptors and chucks. Very useful! The lathe did come with a 4 chuck and I won't be using the lathe that much, perhaps I should try that one and see how much time it takes to set it up? The three chuck is very worn. Everything wobbles. The current job I want to do is take some weight off a flywheel for an engine.
Jerry
"

Jerry: For that job the 4 jaw for sure. 3 jaws are a convenience item ,great for doing jobs that all features can be done in one chucking. That means all features will be concentric regardless of chuck run out.
TIP If flywheel is cast iron run lathe in reverse with tool upside down. That throws those %&*##*#% cast iron chips down. When I had my 18" lathe modified Ford model A flywheels for weight removal and to fit a V-8 style clutch. regular rotation and tool position had chips EVERYWHERE !!

I used my old LeBlond to counterbore an inexpensive Aluminum flywheel for a steel insert, and it has worked great in one of my Flathead V-8s. The simple Aluminum flywheels are cheap, but will be destroyed by most clutches, even by some of them that are organic and claim to be compatible with Alum., so the steel insert is recommended.

Note that excessive thinning of the flywheel can result in its explosion, resulting in damage and injury. If you are not using an engineered or proven design I suggest addition of a scatter shield to contain the bomb. The racing rule-books will provide guidelines for their construction. I use the SCTA book (salt-flats time trials)
SCTA Website Home Page

I have both 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks for my LeBlond and I almost never use the 3-jaw.

This is a steel flywheel for an Austin Healey 3000. Originally it is 33lbs but most people trim about 6 lbs off. Aggressive people go for 10 lbs. I have a blueprint for the reduction! I just finished rebuilding the engine, and will start on the transmission soon, so the flywheel is needed.
I am waiting for parts to finish the rear end of the car. One of the springs was broken. A repair cost more than buying two new springs so I ordered them from England. The spring shop said the size of the metal is special order, and with the loops on the end, it would cost about double the new parts.
Jerry

Can you post up some pictures of what you are looking for ( I dont know the correct name for a number of parts) but the lathe I got came with several face plates and stuff I know I wont use so if it can go to someone that will all the better. I have a 14" for reference.
Just need to know how to ID if it is the correct part your looking for.

Did you double check the spindle nose diameters to verify that it was an L00 and not an L0? Our shop has a later model Regal 13" with an L0, I was thinking that a larger unit would have a larger spindle. (but that's probably what i get for thinking...) Jim

I agree with Jim03, L00 seems kinda small for a Leblond 15" machine! My guess is L1. Take some measurements and post them, someone here as well as myself will be able to tell you the size needed .

Assuming you have the lathe, you only need the one measurement - the OD of the draw back nut

Here are those nuts. You can see the L1 is 7 1/2" OD

L Type Nuts.jpg

I bought one of the L00 faceplates and put it in the lathe to mill the face flat. I found that the face still had 3 to 5 thousands of deviation. I then mounted up my flywheel and the flywheel magnified the deviation to 10 to 15 thousands. Suggestions for getting these deviations smaller?

did you take a clean up cut on the plate? It is customary to clean up that surface each time it is mounted, if needed.

Last edited:
Yes I did do a clean up cut and still had the 3 to5 thousands play. I also made sure the flywheel was flat against the faceplate. This lathe has been used a lot from the wear on the 3 jaw chuck. Perhaps I am stuck with that accuracy?

John and others here are far more experienced with these machines than I but I am pretty sure that this indicates a bearing issue. A bent shaft would be compensated by the clean up cut.

I'm lost, you have a 15" Leblond lathe, by round head I assume Regal and it has L00 spindle? You milled, I assume you faced the face plate and it still has 3 to 5 thousands play, I assume you mean run-out. Then you mount a fly wheel to it and it runs out 10 to 15 thousandths? How big is the fly wheel? Is the spindle or face plate taper in good shape? Is the draw nut for the spindle taper tight?

Serial number posted early in the conversation, and someone on the list said it was a 15 inch. The flywheel is 14 inch, The spindle is L00, and appears in good shape. The draw nut is tight!
Looks like I will find the info for adjusting the shaft bearings.

Back