What's new
What's new

Leblond lathe identification

grantonimo

Plastic
So I just picked up my first lathe. It is a leblond dual drive. I called leblond for a manual and maybe some parts. They asked for a serial number... which I can't find anywhere. I've read several forums, watched videos etc...i can not find any numbers stamped or cast into the tail stock side of the lathe. Please help! Any info would be great

I have the same lathe. Currently in storage and not easy to access for pictures but was able to confirm the serial number on the bed way as John mentioned is also on the electrical control panel on the rear of the headstock end of the machine. Electrical Serial Number blank has two numbers separated by a comma. The first number is the serial number on mine, 2HC-1164. Hope this helps, I'll be happy to try to get pictures if needed.

Ironhead's is 1959. I was guessing grantonimo's was maybe like C 873, which would be 1956

Serial book leaves off all the prefix except the C , which says 15"

Le Blond thought the DD idea was good enough to incorporate into the later Heavy Duty

Thanks for the date info John, haven't used it in a few years but a solid machine. Grantonimo's looks to be in nice shape.

Many thanks and much respect for all the knowledge and endless amount information you contribute and share. Always look forward to your input.

Just curious what does " Dual Drive" denote? If it is referring to the belt driven hs spindle(which is driven from ls counter shaft) and the motor driven ls counter shaft then it is in that respect identical to all the square head Regals built since the mid 50's.

Other aspects seem to be a lot heavier built than the Regals.

Just curious what does " Dual Drive" denote? If it is referring to the belt driven hs spindle(which is driven from ls counter shaft) and the motor driven ls counter shaft then it is in that respect identical to all the square head Regals built since the mid 50's.

Other aspects seem to be a lot heavier built than the Regals.

Later 16 Heavy Duty head stock assy drawing I have shows both geared and belt driven speeds - the geared range going up only so far to make the four available higher belt driven speeds useful.

I'll assume the "Dual Drive" was similar - if not as heavy built.

This incidentally means four or more additional belts making the spindle go :D

Back