What's new
What's new

Leblond No. 3 Horizontal Mill

Bigtrucklover

Plastic
I just picked up this nice LeBlond No.3 Horizontal Mill at an auction with a Gray planer (will put that in seperate post).
It has the 2 small outboard arbor supports, as well as the large table mounted one. It has the original vise,about 8 arbors, ten cutters, and the storage compartment door was still there too.
The kicker is I seem to have all the change gears for the dividing head, but the dividing head is long gone.
I bought the two ancient dividing heads that were at the auction, but after searching past posts see that these aren't the right ones. So I guess I'll join the list of guys looking for the rare leblond dividing head, or maybe I'll have to arm wrestle whoever has one but no change gears and the loser sells the winner their half.:D haha
I'm going to reconfigure the motor mount to something more appealing that doesn't block the storage compartment door too.
I found the catalogue with it on the Vintage Machinery site, but is there any other info. out there besides that website? How can you tell if it's the heavy No.3 or the regular No.3 without weighing it?
The serial number is 173, any guesstimate on it's age?

Thanks,
Jay

leblond1.jpgleblond2.jpgleblond3 serial.jpg

any guesstimate on it's age?

About 1900. Compared to the similar mills in Manning, Maxwell & Moore huge hard bound catalog from 1901 that I have

The very low thickness "foot" on the column is long before it was ever thought about as a coolant reservoir

John is correct... the rounded, smooth base is 1912 or earlier.

The recessed base to catch lubrication and cutting oils was a 1912 engineering change.

The No.3 table is 14 inch wide x 60 inch OAL while the 3H table is 16 inch wide x 63 inch OAL.

The No.3 overarm diameter is 5-3/8 inch while the 3H overarm is 5-3/4 inch diameter.

Mike

Mike's ID of a heavy by the overarm and table size is the best method, but by about 1917 when my 2 1/2 heavy was built the "heavy duty" name was cast in the bed.name.JPG

I have gears but an alternate table, so perhaps we end up arm wrestling?

Thanks for the info. gentlemen.
Very neat, about 15 years older than I thought it'd be.
The overarm support measures 5 3/4 inches and the table is 63 inches long, but it's only 13.5 inches wide.
So I guess two out of three means it's the heavy duty one.
With the way the telehandler tipped while unloading it, I wouldn't be surprised if it weighed 5800 lb.

Thanks again,
Jay

Back