What's new
What's new

Leblond regal 10

Dave1283p

Plastic
Hi I have an old regal 10 I have been bringing back to working order in England there isn't much about for these and have being making do with what I can find I have been trying to set it up to cut metric threads but a lot of the info I have seen seems confuse me I have manged to modified a boxford banjo for the change gear as mine has a fixed typefor the screw cutting gearbox l have a 127to 100 change gear but need to fined out stud gear and screw gear size and imput would be well received mine is fitted with a hi low screw cutting box sorry is anything is wrong as I am not an engineer thanks dave

Page 101 says 127 / 90 compound for the ten inch

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2102/6810.pdf

This is circa 1946. There are of course older Regals

Here is the entire LeBlond list at VM - the two sections of Running a Regal (from about 1946) can be easily found

R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

In that list is the older (guessed at 1934) Regal catalog - which at least tells you that the lead screw on the 10" is 8 TPI

R. K. LeBlond Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Regal Lathes Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

ph

Hi I have an old regal 10 I have been bringing back to working order in England there isn't much about for these and have being making do with what I can find I have been trying to set it up to cut metric threads but a lot of the info I have seen seems confuse me I have manged to modified a boxford banjo for the change gear as mine has a fixed typefor the screw cutting gearbox l have a 127to 100 change gear but need to fined out stud gear and screw gear size and imput would be well received mine is fitted with a hi low screw cutting box sorry is anything is wrong as I am not an engineer thanks dave

Last edited:
Give us a description of the tooth counts and layout of the original end gearing, and a list of the pitches the gearbox cuts from the factory. With that, we can calculate alternative ways to get metric pitches.

Thank you for your prompt reply got home late to nite and check on the website listed page 101 and it list 127 90 in my manual I purchased it doesn't give this page I have recently bought 127 100 thinking it wold be simmerler to. A lot of the boxford and other lathes here before I try and get a 90 tooth gear I presume this fits between the stud gear and the screw cutting box thanks also tomorrow I will get so more info on the original gears and the screw cutting ratios thanks dave

A 127 / 90 will be a 127T gear fastened to a 90T gear and working together as one

Thank you for your prompt reply got home late to nite and check on the website listed page 101 and it list 127 90 in my manual I purchased it doesn't give this page I have recently bought 127 100 thinking it wold be simmerler to. A lot of the boxford and other lathes here before I try and get a 90 tooth gear I presume this fits between the stud gear and the screw cutting box thanks also tomorrow I will get so more info on the original gears and the screw cutting ratios thanks dave

We can probably make 100/127 work just as well as 90/127, so don't buy anything else until you tell us what the old end gearing and gearbox options are :)

Spindle 26 tumbler 22 stud gear26 compounded to 48 64 26 66 compounded 24 this is sliding for high or lo ratios 66 is the gear on the end of the screw cutting box took photos but don't know how to load them the screw cutting gear ratios are on the link johnoder posted if you have time to look it would be easier than me trying to type on my phone . I remove the original banjo and replaced it with an adjustable one for the 127 100 hope this helps thank you DAve

I can't resist throwing this comment into the mix, given tdmidget's comment:

The OP's English & spelling are on point, but his sentence structure and the compound gear train on his LeBlond lathe are one and the same. He expresses himself well, but the writing of his posts are the mothers of all run-on sentences. Call it "running the King's English through a set of compound gears".

Years ago, I was gently taken to task on this 'board for not setting my thoughts apart using paragraphs. One poster (Jim Rozen, possibly), defended me, saying I was writing using "stream of consciousness". Now we have another person posting who is using "compound gearing" to structure his writings.

The main thing is we understand what the OP is asking about, he is articulate, and he is respectful. Though never a smoker, I am old enough to remember a cigarette commercial (Winston cigarettes, I think): "What do you want ? Good grammar or good taste ?" We want people interested in old machine tools, and we want people who own/work on/restore and appreciate old machine tools and machine work. The OP is all of that. Forgive him his grammar, even if he is in the birthplace of the English language.

Back