What's new
What's new

Leland Gifford 4-head

Metalurgent

Cast Iron
Following on from RCPDesigns posting a couple of weeks ago is this 4-head DP of similar vintage.
I picked it up today in Connecticut from a company that used to make slitting wheels to perforate paper.
Because I had to take it apart to bring it back to my place, and because it wasnt easy to photograph where it stood, the listing screenshots and some quick photos are all I have for now. It's fairly complete. Someone removed the original idler gear and the stirrup that would have shifted the original flat belt to it. The linkage to the foot pedals and the pushrod is still in place. It came with an ancient, grimy motor that had been lagbolted to the floor and was driving the 4-stepped pulley-shaft with a couple of vee-belts. Every machine in the shop had been painted the same shade of green. The original black color peeks through where the green flakes off. Each of the drill heads has a countershaft weight on a chain inside its column. The table is a heavy beast and gave me fits trying to remove it to lighten the load on my engine crane before the base could be set on my trailer. Once I'd finally got the gib screws out, the table shook loose, but those screws had been in there a while and they weren't keen on being removed. Four bolts secured each drill head to the base casting and removing the heads made the move much easier.
I'm looking forward to getting this up and running and having a mini lineshaft setup flapping and clicking on the floor somewhere.

Overall height is about 75" Leland Gifford 4 - Google Photos

Back