What's new
What's new

Unknown Lathe ID

Horsepower Zone

Plastic
Hi Guys,

Any idea someone could identify this lathe for me please. I just bought it and would love to know more about it.

Its around 1700mm long (rough guess)

Many thanks

Adrian

277256464_1047818096154767_8556175456027313445_n.jpg

277412001_665564148029761_1627997681484851745_n.jpg

277823390_395788688634322_8591404971537662462_n.jpg

It has some Colchester features....its maybe a 1930s Colchester or an Oz made lathe with copied features.

The metric thread chart is a bit weird for Oz made in that era, we only had fractions of inches back then :-)

Ive been going though pics of old lathes and its remarkably similar to the southbend heavy 10. The motor is in a different position but everything else looks very smilar sb10.jpg

Ive been going though pics of old lathes and its remarkably similar to the southbend heavy 10. The motor is in a different position but everything else looks very smilar View attachment 346250

the wheel positions are opposite on the two lathes. This is the same as left hand drive / right hand drive, ie american / english pattern.

The quick change gearbox arrangement is also very different and may be the unique id to find.

I think your motor has been added later. It looks like a line shaft machine and the motor has been attached to the back gear mounts later and a cover fabricated "recently", though hard to tell from pics available.

the wheel positions are opposite on the two lathes. This is the same as left hand drive / right hand drive, ie american / english pattern.

The quick change gearbox arrangement is also very different and may be the unique id to find.

I think your motor has been added later. It looks like a line shaft machine and the motor has been attached to the back gear mounts later and a cover fabricated "recently", though hard to tell from pics available.
When I pick the lathe up next week I'll get some more info but good observations.

It does look like a Colchester, but the selector to the left of the quick change is in line with the qc box. On every colchester I have seen, it was higher on the headstock, and thus on a different shaft. It looks like a colchester selection lever, but in the wrong place.

I think there may be one or more threads on this forum with similar lathes from Australia .
As mentioned by Limy Sami I think there is a German connection .
The tumbler reverse lever for the leadscrew is inside the headstock being a characteristic of many of those.
Try a forum Search for Erlich ,Fisher or IXL and see if you get a close match .
Some models may vary over time with or without quick change.
See also these from Tony's site ,
Fischer Lathes
Oscar Ehrlich Lathes
IXL Leader (Ehrlich) Lathes
Jim

Isn't that the feed shaft rather than LS??[/QUOTE]

Very well could be. Either way to me it is odd that it sticks out so far beyond the bed.
Bill D

Trying to identify old lathes is a tricky business. They might share broadly similar designs, but differ in the details.

For example, I don't think any Colchester or Southbend look like this lathe in their details.

I had a look through my photos (mainly of old lathes sold in NZ) and the closest match I can find is an Australian lathe - the Purcell Visby.

But - why doesn't it have the name on the door, as other Purcell-made lathes seem to have?

EDIT note: just noticed, the 1920's photo below (from Tony's website) doesn't have any name on its door either.

I reckon our Aussie members will know more about Purcell?

I have attached photos of a "Visby", a "New Visby" and a Record, a larger lathe made by Purcell. The Visby and Record were both for sale in NZ.

BTW, notice the extended feed shaft on all these lathes. I don't know why.

Purcell Lathes, Visby, New Visby, Conemaster & Record lathes

Purcell Visby 1920's 01.jpg Purcell New Visby with Demco badge..jpg purcell record 02.jpg

Last edited:

Back