What's new
What's new

Linley jig borer.. Add drill press style handle?

Bbk_Bbk

Aluminum
Hey guys, I recently picked up a beautiful linley jig borer to use as my primary drilling machine. Luckily I know the entire life of the machine and it was used solely for drilling small boring,not milling.

My question is, would there be any reason to not convert the quill feed to a high speed handle like on a standard drill press? I'm just more comfortable with this style and prefer it. Has anyone done this?

A couple photos of my machine.
9876e9ada392778dbcf9da47a7e19218.jpg
6e2243bb932997496ee528e0eb494a17.jpg
70828d8eaa213fef857401a4f186702c.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Here's a picture of the handle shaft, every piece is properly greeced still, from 1969. Wow!
362568e49287dc13790817acebc4e62a.jpg

The quill handle is made small for a reason.
It is so you don't hork down on it like a 300 pound gorilla.
It is not a drill press. Nowhere close to a drill press.
It is for boring. Furthermore, it will die a fast death
in a shop with all those belt grinders throwing grit everywhere.
I think you might be using a glass slipper to pound in a nail.

--Doozer

No it doesn't have anything to grab but I can make most things.

And the machine is moving to the other side of the shop this Sunday. I have a good dust collection system and with proper care,I think this machine will be just fine. As long as I keep the ways that the head rides against clean, really what damage will I do?

I have never taken a jig borer apart, so I am ready to be corrected, but the spindle bearings on a drill-press are made to carry a heavy thrust load....a jig-bore spindle needs great lateral stiffness, but probably sees little thrust. So you are likely to damage it if you bear down to drill a big hole...or if you treat it gently, you will dull your drills and make little headway.

Also I notice the quill travel is short on your machine. Drill presses are not hard to find, and do not need to be in pristine condition to do their job. If I had a jig-borer, I would not use it as a DP.

You guys are a strange bunch. I make very high end knives that require toorances to with in a couple tenths.the jig borer is A drill press on steroids.with extreme accuracy. Why would I left this beautiful old machine be tossed for nothing more than its weight ln steel?

And yes I own incredibly high end drillpresses,which are just fine and hold accuracy unlike most folks have seen. But again, this jog borer is beautiful and will do a great job drilling my holes.which are all under 1/4" for the most part. The majority are #55,54,53,44,47 etc. So there will be no three hundred pound gorilla shit here.

Geez I better not show that high end swiss and German machines I own.

Because my knives are made by order and sell for several thousand.I'm lucky that I get to do what I love everyday. And I'm back logged over 10 years.

And I won't bother answering any of your silly comments that don't relate to my question. It really is a pissing contest over here.

No, do not put a drill press style handle on this jig borer. The original handwheel turns several revs per 0.1”, or somewhere thereabouts. It’s for fine feeding. You won’t get any benefit from spinning a larger, 3-prong wheel.

You have confirmation bias. We’re not corroborating your idea. 10 year back log? Piss poor time management.

Yes, ive canned the idea of adding a handle. Thanks for the input on that guys.

You may call it pins poor time management, I call it hand made with manual machines.there's no Cnc on my work.And every blade is handground on a 2" wheel. But I don't expect any of you to understand that. Because clearly your dick is bigger then mine.

The quill handle is made small for a reason.
It is so you don't hork down on it like a 300 pound gorilla.
It is not a drill press. Nowhere close to a drill press.
It is for boring. Furthermore, it will die a fast death
in a shop with all those belt grinders throwing grit everywhere.
I think you might be using a glass slipper to pound in a nail.

--Doozer

If the machine is "Nowhere close to a drill press" why did Linley offer 3 different drill chucks as accessories?

Here's a link to a Linley Jig Borer machine sales brochure on the Vintage Machinery website.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/9381/12694.pdf

Page 4 starts the available accessories. The Drill chucks are available in 3/16, 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. They are advertised as "Ideal for all spotting and small hole drilling operations". The smaller chucks come with straight shanks, and the 1/2" one comes with a tapered shank "for larger drilling operations"

What you don't understand is if you need tenths accuracy to which a Jig Borer is capable why do you want to convert it into a drill press that is not? It may be that you claim to do the work to "tenths" and those that buy your product believe you and pay your asking price. But I as well as most of us here have a hard time understanding what on a knife would require tenths especially the type that a Jig Borer will do like hole location or size. That Jig Borer your using will out drill any drill press within it's size range and you will have no problem using it as a drill press and doing with it as you wish since it's your machine. But please don't try to tell the highly skilled men here that your drilling holes to tenths accuracy. I'm sure you have a accurate Digital Vernier Caliper, one of the best China can make to measure the holes produced. The handle that the machine came with is ideal for Jig Boring if you want to use it a drill press then convert it being it's your machine. I have 2 Moore Jig Borers. Very much larger but they too have round down feed handles. Yet they are so sensitive I can easily use #60 drills. It's difficult to see in the photo but it loos like the counter weight for the spindle is not connected.

Bbk_Bbk- Some folks here have given good advice or asked good questions willingly, some folks gave you a bit of a ribbing. You responded by lumping all of us into the same group, which you then insult. You're going to have to grow a thicker skin, and also learn to separate the wheat from the chaff, if you are going to spend time on the internet :)

allan

I was going to say,some of the small Moore's as well as other do include down feed handles.

I am happy using the machine with the turn handle.And here's my reason for picking up the machine.I generally drill on my little Rockwell knee mill, but constantly changing from aluminum fixture plate,to vice can be tedious for a two minute job. It only takes a minute to clamp my fixture and surface. 001 to insure its accuracy. But a pain in the ass none the less.

When the jig borer came up and it indicated with zero movement I thought it would be perfect for drilling, boring in bearing races and such.And it will! I will enjoy using it a great deal.

I understand that I don't know shit compared to many of you guys. But you don't have to act like your shit don't stink, just school me. I listen and look forward to learning from the best.

It doesn't bother me if you don't believe the level of precision put into my knives. And I didn't set the price for my work, the market did. I charge 1/3 of secondary market price.

Anyway....

Sorry allen, I'm not including the guys that didn't whip out their wiener [emoji16]

We're not trying to put you down! But what you claim to be doing is not doable. Your Rockwell mill at best new out of the box only be as accurate as .005" Heck a new BP will be .003 with the best DRO! Yet a Jig Borer will work in tenths using the dials. Drills don't drill holes accurate to tenths when used in a Jig Borer in an Albrecht chuck.
So if you want to convert your Jig Borer to have a drill press type handle, do it. If properly done it will work being that the Linley Jig Borer's spindle has the bearings that will easily handle the size drills you posted. I agree some here get kind rude but you would be better off ignoring them and try to understand why they might have made such remarks. Just so you know there is no such thing as a Digital Vernier Caliper yet ebay has a lot of the for sale and quite a few in other forum Titles and some times in this one.

every blade is handground on a 2" wheel.

Wow. That's a Very Big Deal, indeed.

Surely no one else would have ever thought of that. You should patent the process.

But I don't expect any of you to understand that. Because clearly your dick is bigger then mine.

Dicks, knives, and grinding wheels?

If that combination makes yer dick smaller, why would we WANT to understand?

Back