What's new
What's new

Liquidating a machine shop

Trikker

Plastic
Hello, it has been a long time since being on here had to make a new profile, my family has a machine shop in Miami,they are looking to liquidate some machines, they have a 1917 Leblond 24" lathe with tooling, a CNC mill fairly large unit, unsure of the make at this time but all of the unit is intact, they didn't realize the power needed to run it so it has just sat inside dormant, I have a picture or 2 of each unit, also they have some antique milling machines as well as a bridgeport mill all units run but the CNC mill, my question at this point is should they get appraisals on the units or should they be tossed into Ebay and let the bidders fight it out?

Any advise would be of great appreciation,
John Fenner

Attachments

• 20170330_134925.jpg
    20170330_134925.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 20170322_130241.jpg
    20170322_130241.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 20170404_130005.jpg
    20170404_130005.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 20170404_130011.jpg
    20170404_130011.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 404
  • 20190502_153420.jpg
    20190502_153420.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 404
The only machine with any value that I can see is the old Bridgeport in the tiny photo. It might bring $1000 - 1500 if in usable shape with usable tooling. Any money spent on the rest of the lot on anything like appraisals or Ebay listings will be a waste

The CNC will remain a non starter / zero valuation as long as nothing is known about it.. Possibly there are records or documents held by the family that could alleviate some of this lack

You basically have several machines that you will have to pay someone to haul off

The LeBlond should bring $400-$500. There are so many good quality heavy duty milling machines out there that I don't know why anyone would want a Bridgeport.

You basically have several machines that you will have to pay someone to haul off

I was thinking this too but I didn't want to be "that" guy. I've seen Bridgeports like this sell for $3000 or so. That seems to be worth selling. If you price the lathe low enough someone will buy it. Might save you the cost of having it hauled off.

If you price the lathe low enough someone will buy it. Might save you the cost of having it hauled off.

Yep, I agree. Some hobbyist will figure out how to move it if it's only a few hundred bucks.

The Bridgeport is actually worth selling (depending on condition).

That CNC mill is going to take some begging to get rid of.

If the Bridgeport is 3-phase, it's going to be a lot harder to sell.

Most professional shops aren't interested in old machines, and most home shop guys don't have three phase power (and don't know how to make it).

I'm working with a local shop to put valuations on their machines and even the buffers, sanders and saw are three phase, which is a negative for selling to the home shop crowd.

Steve

The cnc mill is probably worth scrap value, but it will cost to get it there. If one of the others sells, the rigger may drop it off at the scrapper for cheap. The lathe may bring something, but the older large lathes are hard to sell. See what they have sold for on eBay and start an auction for half that and cross your fingers. The bridgeport will probably sell fairly easily. Some of those step pulley heads can take a single phase motor pretty easily.

Please post pictures of the antique milling machine. What city in Florida is the shop located? I'm a sucker for antique and while I don't wish to drag home the lathe, I might be interested in the mill.

Im no expert in the market,but the Bridgport will sell on condition......uncut table,nice controlls ,accs etc,I d start at$3k.....you can alkways haggle and drop.........I dont live local,for sure,but on other hobby forums ,lotsa guys lament missin a B/port for $2500.......with the other machines ,dont scrap the chucks ,accessories.....they will sell......just not the iron masses,......scrap must be poor there......I would be getting US $200/ton for cast .....and the electronics on the CNC will have some nice old boards the scrappies love.

VFD's seem to be everywhere and relatively cheap. I used to worry about 3 phase but now I'm thinking about converting everything to 3 phase. It's the old "when your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails" thing.

Most professional shops aren't interested in old machines, and most home shop guys don't have three phase power (and don't know how to make it).

I'm working with a local shop to put valuations on their machines and even the buffers, sanders and saw are three phase, which is a negative for selling to the home shop crowd.

Steve

3 Phase is bone simple to do ,a control box from some one like WNY supply and a 3 phase motor and bob's yer uncle ! just built one up today with a 5 HP motor and a box from WNY Supply . couple of hours and I'm as dumb as you get on electricity.

It is all in Miami, I appreciate the input for sure, I figured on going to the hobby sites next, I figured someone would jump at the CNC mill and update the drives and software.

I figured someone would jump at the CNC mill and update the drives and software.

My impression is that old CNC equipment is like old cell phones. Just getting parts and support to run the old computers might be problematic once the company stops supporting them. If you could show a potential buyer that the system is still being supported at some level, it would probably make it more interesting to them. Nobody wants an orphan machine which is one broken part away from the junk pile.

VFD's seem to be everywhere and relatively cheap. I used to worry about 3 phase but now I'm thinking about converting everything to 3 phase.

But the average home shop guy doesn't know about converters and VFD's, or doesn't want to be bothered.

It's so simple - there's a company out there that sells a pre-wired box to attach to a 3-phase motor and bingo! Three phase rotary converter!

Steve

I'd be interested in the LeBlond if it wasn't located so darn far in the deep south of Florida. That's a day drive from Pensacola all the way to Miami! Wonder of Abom79 wants it for his shop?:D

Back