What's new
What's new

literature about pantograph engraver operation

Metalo

Aluminum
Can anyone recommend a source of information regarding the use and setup of a pantograph engraver? I have a Deckel GK12 I am fooling around with and I would like to find more sources of information regarding job set up. Something like the how to run a lathe book but for pantographs. I have the Deckel manual and also some Gorton literature which both have a lot of good information which has gotten me started but I am hoping for something with more examples of job types and the setups/considerations needed to accomplish them. Does anyone know of such a book?
Thanks,
-Joe

Deckel put out a magazine aimed at pantograph users, think it was in the 60’s. It showed lots of cool set-ups and of course was sort of an ad to show what you could do with all the cool stuff you could buy from them. Do a search in the Deckel, Aciera, etc. forum and see if you find out more.

Just did a search, this was from an old thread.

“ Rivett608,
I think I know about the news letter you refer to although the ones I saw were called technical bulletins and had information about all of Deckels equipment, not only their pantographs. The set ran from 1955 to 1966, the later ones had magazine quality glossy photographs showing their machines and were full of updated information and useful hints and suggestions for making the most of the Deckel machines (I especially appreciated the lubrication up-date). I bought an FP1 and got a complete set included with the machine.

[This message has been edited by Danny VanVoorn (edited 11-30-2002).]”

Before I had an CNC mill, I built this shadow box for my brother's promotion. I used my GK21 as a poor-man's CNC to inlay the emblems in both the wood and brass. Supplied the local trophy shop with the emblems I wanted to inlay. They scanned and enlarged the shape then laser cut that shape into 1/8 Plexiglas. I then used the GK21 to cut that shape into the material. The 20k rpm spindle speed of the GK21 makes it an excellent router for wood. I also used it to cut the tongues and route the relief for the glass in the walnut burl. For the brass hex screw inserts, I just grabbed the appropriate socket to use for a pattern.

Another advantage is that when you're working from a pattern that is say, 5-times larger, your errors are reduced by a factor of 5 as well. Helps to hide mistakes.

Very handy machine to have.

gm.

Attachments

• IMAG0252[1].jpg
    IMAG0252[1].jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Completed Box.jpg
    Completed Box.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 102
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 101
Thanks Rivett, I will look for the technical bulletins.

gm, That is a nice looking display box.

For templates I bought an inexpensive 3d plastic printer to make them with. It works well.

Here is a template for a stamp I was making

IMG-1496.jpgIMG-1491.jpg

I have a GK21, an older version with "rounded" components. I also have quite a bit of documentation for it (in both English and German). When I get a chance, I'll check to see if I've already scanned it. If not, it may take me a few days to a week to get to it. I'll post it to the Manuals subforum or send directly to you if you PM your email address.

Brian in Taxachusetts

Back