What's new
What's new

A lock that thinks it's a micrometer...

rivett608

Diamond
Just strolling on French ebay and saw this..... a pad lock in the shape of a micrometer even marked Palmer..... I think it's cute.

ScreenShot2012-02-12at83104AM.png

eBay | MOTO ? VÉLO ? ANTI-VOL PALMER NEIMAN....

Lord Byron, I understood "pot" was a weed, not metal! :crazy:

What I'd like to see next is a combination lock in the shape of a micrometer and to open it you'd have to dial the right reading/measurement using the thimble!

:cheers:

Pot metal? Oh, that's all the stuff in the shop corners swept up and dumped into the pot. The end result is sneeringly called "metal".

From a guy who's dealt with MORE than his share of old car trim..............:)

Pot metal? Oh, that's all the stuff in the shop corners swept up and dumped into the pot. The end result is sneeringly called "metal".

From a guy who's dealt with MORE than his share of old car trim..............:)

Dont mean to hijack the thread, but what advice can you give for dealing with re-chroming old car trim, esp tail-light castings, hood latches, door handles, etc, etc?

Some places that do chrome plating say they can only do magnetic items....how are pot metal parts done?

PM me if you like.

Thnx, Gatz

It looks like a bicycle sprocket lock from the 1890s but is clearly later, they were usually made of brass. They were used to lock the crank and chain together so you couldn't pedal away on the bike. Of course this didn't deter the thief from just picking up the bike and walking off with it.

The seller also hints that it may be for a bicycle (velo ?).

Google gets quite a few results for "antivol palmer neiman", ie Palmer Neiman Lock.

I think the "Palmer" connection is to the tyre makers, not the micrometer makers, and it's just co-incidental that the lock looks like a micrometer.

Palmer were the originators of the "cross-ply" tyre and were, I think, the largest tyre makers in the world at one time; they certainly made bicycle tyres as Sherlock Holmes readers will know.

It's likely that these bicycle locks were either sold or given away, perhaps with a set of Palmer tyres.

A cute little item; thanks for posting it.

Thanks for clearing that up for everybody and the new information these were give aways...... maybe I should get this for my Pedersen bike????

I did know there was no connection between this Palmer and the micrometer Palmer... I just thought it was funny the mix of the name and the shape of a modern "Palmer" as they call it.

Back