What's new
What's new

Simplex 16" Shaper Information

ryang

Plastic
I'm looking for any information on this Simplex 16" Shaper. It is missing its tag, and there doesn't appear to be much of anything on the company or their products. ANY information would be appreciated, even if it is a picture of another, as I haven't even found that!20190824_182908.jpg20190824_161356.jpg

Attachments

• 20190824_161356.jpg
    20190824_161356.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 117
ryang:

Welcome to our forum. Seeing your snapshot of the old Gravely L model tractors was enough to convince me you are a good fit for our forum. I've used a 1965 L model Gravely for over 35 years, and also have a 10 HP Commercial model, still on the old L model transaxle. It seems like plenty of us who appreciate, collect, and use old machine tools often have a Gravely (or two or three) in our midst, and some of us also have an old motorcycle (or two or three) as well.

On the matter of your shaper: Simplex may well have been the dealer who sold it. If Simplex's name is on a metal tag fixed on the shaper with "excutcheon pins" (look like rivets and drive into blind holes to hold things like name or data plates), I'd say they were the dealer. Unfortunately, the name of the actual manufacturer of your shaper may have been cast on the access door or cover (which would close the opening to the internals in the main frame).

If your shaper is complete and nothing is excessively worn, broken, or otherwise non-functional, clean it up and put it to work. Old machine tools are made be firms that often are so long gone that no living being remembers where their plants were, nor are manuals are parts available. In short, we are on our own with them. I've made plenty of parts for my old Gravelys and motorcycles over the years, and plenty of tooling and whatnot on my old machine tools. It's part of the joys of old iron disease.

Looks very similar to my Hendey friction shaper. Maybe your's is a Hendey crank shaper. Here's a 20" model though the picture is from the wrong side.

Attachments

• ff6f6f6d53cde3ebf8f3ea5617d5949d.jpg
    ff6f6f6d53cde3ebf8f3ea5617d5949d.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 77
Joe,

Gravely's are my go to yard machine!

Simplex is cast into the main body, partially covered by the ugly electrical switch. Unfortunately, the metal tag has been removed. I'm hoping that someone has a picture of this machine, and it's tag. There are no threaded holes for a cover to bolt to. Would it have clamped around the opening?

I've had the ram off already and the ways appear to be in great shape, as well as all of the internals.

What kind of belt horsepower would this take to run?

I've got an old lineshaft 16 inch running off a 1 1/2 HP motor. It will have to have the rpm dropped down to about 200 rpm by some means of speed reduction.

There are no threaded holes for a cover to bolt to. Would it have clamped around the opening?

My 1951 36" Ohio side cover just sits there - a quarter turn locking device at the top is all that holds it in there

Back