Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It has been a few months since I had time to look at PM, this morning I sat down with a coffee and found this gem. I just love it when Joe Michaels conducts one of his engineering seminars here on PM. And to have Brian B join in makes it even better. I only know of Joe from here and Brian from here and You Tube, I find their straight forward no BS or the need to shine things up with flashy drama very refreshing. Anyway every time Joe conducts a lecture on steam 101 I learn something new and useful. Same with Brian and machining or repair work. And I have been at this stuff for nearly 40 years, not so much steam, but mechanical repair, fabrication and machine work. Never too old to learn from others either senior or junior to me. We are fortunate enough that Joe, Brian and others take the time to share their experiences with us. paul39 thanks for planting the seed for this latest lesson in our engineering journey.

Cheers everyone,

Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Warren:

Thank you for the kind words. As a matter of fact, I do teach a course at Hanford Mills Museum which I had jokingly named: "Steam Power 101". It's about a day and a half in length, and covers a lot of material including a good deal of hand-on operation of the steam plant. I enjoy presenting the course because I get to share what I can with whomever chooses to attend. No two iterations of the course are quite the same, since we kind of go in the direction the participants want to take it.

This 'Board is much the same way, and we share, learn, commiserate, enjoy some humor, but mainly find a very nice common ground with each other. It is a respectful place, where people from all over the globe and all types of backgrounds meet and enjoy the interchange. I daresay if there were a pub or laid back machine shop or similar that was geographically convenient, and those of us who chose to meet there did, we'd never leave-or our wives/significant others would be asking the management of the place to please turn the lights off and chase us out to head to our homes.

Without sounding schmaltzy, I know I feel the richer for having the opportunity to share, get to know the regulars and all else that comes with posting on this 'board. Thank you again for the heartfelt and kind words.

Joe Michaels

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IIRC The Belle boilers are 'Western Rivers" fire tube boilers (3) with 7 tubes each about 6 or 8 inch diameter. There is a 'Mud Drum" at the rear connected to each boiler drum. You can see the assembly in the previously attached book.

I organized a partial replacement on the main steam line about 15 years ago with mostly volunteer help. The only actual cost was the xray weld testing. Labor including welding was by local union pipefitters (Local 522 now 502). The Pipe and one 90 degree bend was supplied by Globe Mechanical fab shop. I sectioned one of the old flanges to show construction method.dscn3874.jpgdscn3875.jpg

4. Likes Joe Michaels, Peter S liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As an absolute hobby guy, Joe Michaels writings are hugely educational. Please keep it up.

I wish I were closer, the steam class sounds like it would be a great way to spend a couple days. I did the steam school at Tuckahoe a few years back which was very good. Came away with a new respect for pressure vessels as the course spent a lot of time (correctly) on how not to blow the thing up.

Thanks.

6. Likes Joe Michaels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like typical locomotive type construction where the tubes are rolled over into the flanges, but I imagine that is pretty standard to all tube boilers. That cross section appears to be all mild steel by the finish on it. Sadly I think they will find maintaining the Belle much more difficult with Jeffboat gone, hopefully it doesn't adversely effect its maintenance. I sure appreciate the kind words Warren. I always try to give good insight and to produce valuable content that people can learn from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Looks like typical locomotive type construction where the tubes are rolled over into the flanges, but I imagine that is pretty standard to all tube boilers. That cross section appears to be all mild steel by the finish on it. Sadly I think they will find maintaining the Belle much more difficult with Jeffboat gone, hopefully it doesn't adversely effect its maintenance. I sure appreciate the kind words Warren. I always try to give good insight and to produce valuable content that people can learn from.
    My purpose for showing the pix was to show not only the forged 'Vanstone' like end treatment of the pipe but also the fact that the necked flange was riveted thru the pipe and flange neck. All rivets were pressure tight for over 90 years. for that matter I think one other original pipe spool is still in service.