What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley 14" Lathe

Try to date a Lodge and Shipley 14" lathe, also trying to figure out what kind of oil it takes

Lodge12345's Library | Photobucket

Its a Model A, Manual says the equivalent of ISO 46 circulating oil. If it were mine I would have Mobil DTE Medium in it

Serial (five digits) will be right end in between two REAR vee ways stamped into machined cast iron - with that it can be dated

Here is manual from VM - you can tell by the Monarch name and safety "boiler plate" pages that it is fairly recent, so maybe not exact

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2104/15228.pdf

Found serial number. It is 31237, what year would this be?

1938 there.

You could still get plain spindle bearings at that time - L&S had sworn by them since 1892

Thumbnails are scans from a few years before that

Attachments

• Bearings Scan.jpg
    Bearings Scan.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Bearings ScanVsm.jpg
    Bearings ScanVsm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Specs scan.jpg
    Specs scan.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for everything. I found a oiling diagram in the manual. Do you use the same oil throughout the lathe, for the headstock, for pulleys, bearings, gears, etc.

Thanks for everything. I found a oiling diagram in the manual. Do you use the same oil throughout the lathe, for the headstock, for pulleys, bearings, gears, etc.

If it were mine:

DTE Medium in head stock
DTE Heavy Medium all other bearings or places to oil
Vactra #3 on ways and slides and in apron

Apron at one time could oil ways and cross slide - maybe by you pumping or maybe automatic.
Such systems are almost always plugged by now
If you do not want to disassemble entire carriage and apron and FIX the various issues YOU will have to MANUALLY oil ways and slides - and this includes FREQUENT attention to cross slide ways on the back-of-lathe area - often out-of-sight under a cover.

Its 80 years old, probably needs some help:D

Last edited:

Back