What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley lathe spindle issue

thefrog

Plastic
I recently got this Lodge and Shipley lathe and got a major issue and some questions hopefully someone can help answer. It is a 10x48 with a serial number of 24631, so it should be a 1919. Other than that I have found no other markings on it as to what the model is. Everything seemed ok until I turned it on and that's when my main issue presented itself, the spindle shaft does not turn concentric, it appears to be very out of round. I have tried clamping several different lengths of material to see if this makes a difference and it does not. I am using a three jaw chuck. My first question is, has anyone ever seen the type of backing plate in the picture below. It seems awfully heavy duty to me and I have not seen one like this before. That leads me into the next question could this be what is causing the spindle to not turn concentric, my guess is that it probably is part, if not all of the problem. So far I have tried to get it off the spindle shaft but no luck, there is a collar on there with a couple set screws and I have tried taking the collar off but again no luck there.I have not tried it yet but its about the only thing left to try would be to heat it up and see if i can get it to move then. I am a little hesitant to do this because I do not want to damage anything to bad. This then leads into looking into the shaft itself. The only information I could find was in a 1905 catalog with a picture that looks similar to my setup. It shows the spindle shaft is the same diameter hollow all the way through. The shaft on my lathe is hollow all the way through like the picture but with two different diameters. On the backing plate side it is bigger and goes in about 6 inches or so, right up to where the gear is before the cone pulley and then goes down to a smaller diameter the rest of the way through. I have checked the outside diameter of the shaft on both ends and the side with the backing plate is measuring 2.600 inches and the other side is measuring at 1.915 inches. Could that along with the odd back plate be what is causing it to turn out of round? That is my best guess. My last resort would be to have a new shaft made but I am hoping to avoid this if at all possible but if that's the only fix then that's what I have to do. Any help would be appreciated in trying to figure this out. I can take more pictures and measurements if needed and can further clarify anything that I made clear as mud.

Attachments

• lodge and shipley lathe.jpg
    lodge and shipley lathe.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 83
  • serial number.jpg
    serial number.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 76
  • backplate.jpg
    backplate.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 89
  • backplate 2.jpg
    backplate 2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 82
  • spindle 1905 catalog.jpg
    spindle 1905 catalog.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 79
Smallest I know of in 1919 was 14"

It is screwed into the INTERNAL thread of the DOUBLE NOSE spindle. Your catalog cut is from earlier when there was no double nose spindle - and it is misleading you.

It will come off, you just have to figure a way to hold onto the spindle nose flange so you can apply enough turning force

Here is how I did it on my 24" (look on page 2 of linked thread for non fuzzy photos)

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-history/worked-good-183426/?highlight=183426

Thumbnail from about 1916 shows double nose spindle. If that large O.D. , its adjacent face and the 3" dia. spigot run true then there isn't much wrong with the lathe. Sorry old three jaw chucks are a different story.

Attachments

• L&Spg9.jpg
    L&Spg9.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
It sounds like this is your first lathe. The spindle inside diameter at the chuck end is tapered for a dead center and is probably 4, 4 1/2 or 5 Morse taper. You say it turns something out of round, how are you measuring roundness? If you chucked something up in the 3 jaw chuck and it didn't run true, that does not mean that the spindle is not concentric. More likely the chuck is worn or the jaws are not in their correct location causing the eccentricity.

Back