What's new
What's new

Lodge & Shipley model X oil??????

EZFEED

Plastic
Just a quick question guys. Have a 14” Lodge & Shipley model X I’m about to fill my gearbox which was empty when I bought it. I printed the manual and am looking for this special mineral oil but I’m not finding it. Is there something else I can put in it or does it go by another name nowadays???
I’ve been told type F transmission fluid and someone else said motor oil but I want to check with y’all first.

ISO 46 - or even ISO 32 if your 14 has the 1740 or 2000 RPM option

Industry standards for such would include Mobil DTE Medium or Light

A L&S X is real fussy on level, the oil is pumped up to a distribution plate and drip feed to all the bearings, a little bit off and you starve a bearing or 3. Also the front way is not level with the rear so be careful...Phil

A L&S X is real fussy on level, the oil is pumped up to a distribution plate and drip feed to all the bearings, a little bit off and you starve a bearing or 3. Also the front way is not level with the rear so be careful...Phil

Here are some photos of the tray Phil describes - it has "holes" in just the right places to let the oil thru:D

Dcp_1088.jpgDcp_1092.jpgDcp_1093.jpgDcp_1094.jpg

Another thing (or two)

Only oil is DOWN IN SUMP on back - none in head stock (if you pour it in with the top cover off it will head on down to sump)

So......that oil pump HAS TO BE WORKING

My sump had TWO oil sights - one above the other

DCP_1086.jpg

Back