Lodge and Shipley Powerturn - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=thermite
    If you are up for "DIY" do a triple layer as the best of the best once used.[/QUOTE]

What you mean ďIFĒ white man??!? I had not considered using both felt and rubber, but thereís no way Iím putting the rubber wipers I took off back on and I assumed Iíd have to make whatever I replace them with.

The felt grade mentioned above will get priority attention, any suggestions as to grade or type of rubber to use?

Iím thinking a medium grade mechanical-type rubber ought to do the trick? Thereís no reason not to reuse the factor metal covers, so Iíll just get a piece of both felt and rubber in the appropriate thickness.

Just that easy... seems like one of those jobs where itís best to just sit down and make a bunch at the same time. Iíll surely ruin some material getting the process dialed, but better to keep the whole thing fresh and at the front of my mind as opposed to setting up and learning it all over again every so often. Iím sure I can find a place the keep my spares safe, trouble may be remembering WHERE that safe space is down the line.

Be safe

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Add this for your shop.. or your tool drawers, then:
    Iím still getting used to the neighborhood and the particular criminal it breeds. So far it seems the local crime trends more to sneak-thievery than strong arm crime. Any gun on the premises would be about the only thing worth breaking in to try and take and there ainít nothing I own, gun, wallet and tools included worth killing for. Iíd rather duck out any number of exits and hope to see how frustrated any would be thief got. The only stuff of any value has fairly limited market appeal and will require at the very least a REAL truck to get off the property. If these kids wanted to work that hard they probably wouldnít be breaking and entering. The big stuff all has serial numbers, almost all of the smaller stuff is marked and in a lot of cases I paid more for the Lista cabinet the tools are in than the tools, with markings, inside. Said Lista boxes are mostly static on skids, so the thieves would have to know how to operate the pallet jack as well as bringing their own truck. I live my shop life very comfortable in the security that only owning really heavy, obsolete crap can provide. I didnít bring the 36Ē tube tv from my old shop. It rarely turned on, mostly served as another security sign: nothing worth taking here, move along.

Be safe

Jeremy

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jermfab View Post
    What you mean ďIFĒ white man??!? I had not considered using both felt and rubber, but thereís no way Iím putting the rubber wipers I took off back on and I assumed Iíd have to make whatever I replace them with.

The felt grade mentioned above will get priority attention, any suggestions as to grade or type of rubber to use?

Iím thinking a medium grade mechanical-type rubber ought to do the trick? Thereís no reason not to reuse the factor metal covers, so Iíll just get a piece of both felt and rubber in the appropriate thickness.

Just that easy... seems like one of those jobs where itís best to just sit down and make a bunch at the same time. Iíll surely ruin some material getting the process dialed, but better to keep the whole thing fresh and at the front of my mind as opposed to setting up and learning it all over again every so often. Iím sure I can find a place the keep my spares safe, trouble may be remembering WHERE that safe space is down the line.

Be safe

Jeremy
    Buna-n or Neoprene

50-60A. I prefer 60, but Buna only goes up to 50A on McM.

I cut them using a Vee block and a razor blade. I angle the razor blade in to make a knife edge seal. I have done 16 this way now for two lathes, and they are both working very well.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the effective wipers Ive seen is a brass angle piece,held to the saddle by spring loaded screws,such that the leading edge of the brass angle is in contact with the bed,and quickly forms a sharp edge that shaves crud off the bed.....I have a dislike of anything like felt that is porous,as it forms a breeding ground for microbes that break down coolant in to acid wastes ,and etch lathe beds ,and turn them black......Polyurethane might be OK ,or UHMWPE,but any kind of soft material will embed sharp particles.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    One of the effective wipers Ive seen is a brass angle piece,held to the saddle by spring loaded screws,such that the leading edge of the brass angle is in contact with the bed,and quickly forms a sharp edge that shaves crud off the bed.....I have a dislike of anything like felt that is porous,as it forms a breeding ground for microbes that break down coolant in to acid wastes ,and etch lathe beds ,and turn them black......Polyurethane might be OK ,or UHMWPE,but any kind of soft material will embed sharp particles.
    Those are the type of factory wipers used on G&L horizontal boring mills. They work pretty well in my experience also. I would note, however, that they do use a felt wiper behind the spring loaded brass scraper. Never noticed a problem with those ways turning black or etching, but they never sat still for long either. With the felt on the inside, a rubber middle squeegee layer and the brass scraper outside that, it should prevent most sharp particles from getting to the felt. In any case, I'd rather the felt trap them and lightly drag them rather more than if they should get loose from under the wiper and caught between the ways and the underside of the carriage or mill table. Keep up with the wiper maintenance by changing the felts and rubbers once a year or so and they should be about as good as is possible to get short of hermetic sealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

deleted spam post from thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been working on a different brand machine with its own mysteries.
    The oil filter on my 1960 1610 Powerturn Copymatic was a Baldwin with a 10 micron element was replaced by me with a Zinger hydraulic can type filter and mount, that will fit in the same spot.
    The Tuthill oil pump is very simple, but has an internal part that shifts when the spindle is reversed, make sure the oil is pumping when in reverse.
    The wipers were available from Monarch, at not huge cost some years ago., but old machines are a gamble.
    The apron oil lever will visibly move when the feed rod is turning.
    I will try to tune in when I can, so far so good on my old lathe project

John k mentioned metal wipers, here is an example from a 1940 Axelson lathe, spring loaded brass wipers,

These were also stuffed with felt. I purchased industrial felt off ebay, direct from Australia.

8. Likes 4GSR liked this post