What's new
What's new

Lodge and Shipley for sale

fishermanscan

Aluminum
Hi All,

From reading the stickies I understand if this sort of post isn't wanted, please have the forum moderator remove it.

It has been many years since I posted on this forum as a young teenager looking to restore an old Lodge and Shipley. Now with my parents moving and I living in another state I unfortunately don't have the time to work on the lathe so it has to be sold.

You can see in my post that it does run:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ey-runs-again-184293/?highlight=lodge+shipley
but that was the last thing I ever did with it, and it has sat in my parents garage ever since.

I would like it to go to a good home, that will take care of it and appreciate it the same way I have. I currently have it listed on ebay (lathe | eBay), but if you would rather deal directly with me that can be arranged.

Have a wonderful day.
~John

@antique-lathe, the auction has a day left with no bidders. If it doesn't sell and you are interested please let me know.

And the 1901 scan - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting this for me

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/lodge/lodgeshipley-catalogue-H-1901.pdf

The cover of this catalog states in prominent type, "Good Lathes Only". It is an extensive Lodge & Shipley catalog from an era (1901) in which lathes were advertised solely on a no-nonsense basis, the only evidence of window dressing or meretriciousness in the catalog being occasional design flourishes supplied by the printer, such as the floral flourish on the title page. Thanks John and Greg.

The catalog ends with a code book containing many pages of code words for ordering and for communicating back&forth between supplier and buyer. (Presumably, the use of code words made for economy in the days of word charges for telegrams and telegraphy.) As an example, if you were to have sent L&S the word 'Quaderputz', you probably just ordered yourself a 'Quabbe', which is a 36" engine lathe raised in the sand to swing 42", and with a 20-ft bed on legset C with rest A. Other sorts of communications, about orders, all begin with the letter 'R'. One might, for example, receive a telegram from L&S with the word 'RAMMUCCHIA'. Referring to your decoder ring, you would read, "Repeat the telegram back to us so that we may be sure you have received it correctly".

Code words for items persisted into the modern era, although I imagine they are gone now. The first microtome I bought, from a European maker, was ordered using the designation, 'Trigge Triff'.

-Marty-

Attachments

• L&S'01Catalog.jpg
    L&S'01Catalog.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 58
And a few (six, actually) years before - and not nearly as comprehensive. Notice gear guards were considered non essential:D

Attachments

• 95 LS 01.jpg
    95 LS 01.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 95 LS 02.jpg
    95 LS 02.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 72
  • 95 LS 03.jpg
    95 LS 03.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 95 LS 04.jpg
    95 LS 04.jpg