What's new
What's new

Logan 1875 value

Sebastien_Bolle

Plastic
Hello all,

I've been a longtime lurker, this is my first post on the forum.

I've been keeping tabs on used lathes, and came across a Logan 1875. It's a 10x24, with a quick-change gearbox and likely a 1/2 or 3/4HP motor, according to Logan Actuator.

The seller is asking $1100, and I hope to get some feedback on whether or not this is a fair price.

It's got some missing paint, and (sort of heavy) rust on the chuck, ways, tailstock quill. It doesn't seem to come with any tooling, rests, or a chuck other than the mounted 3-jaw.

So my question to you - good deal? Bad deal? So-so?

Thank you,

I'd not say so much that I "want a project", rather that they tend to find me...

I have some indexable cutters, HSS blanks and the like. I'm more concerned with the lack of chucks and toolpost.

Thank you for your opinion!

If it's just surface rust and the ways are actually in good shape, and if it doesn't have any chipped or missing teeth on the back gears, and the spindle bearings are in good shape, and if you can get the stuck chuck off... It's probably worth south of what he's asking. OTOH, maybe fair if you're in a machinery-starved area.

I can't speak to the state of the ways, but I can ask about the gears and bearings.

We're not in one of the "machinery deserts", there are about 40 metal lathes for sale within about 100 miles.

I consider it a decent price if it's in cleanable shape. You can still buy parts for them. Its a light duty lathe though. Southbendy or something in that line. It's better than your typical new chinese 7x12. I'd say it depends on what you intend to use it for. I have a one size smaller Logan and it works for my projects but they're not that complex, heavy duty or precise. I might try to talk him down to $900. It's relatively modern, has real bearings in the head stock and no flat belts. I'd buy it over any old flat belt lathe.

Fair enough. The use of bearings as opposed to bushings is certainly one of the more appealing aspects of this machine.

When you say “not [] precise”, what do you mean? I’m not expecting a Hardinge clone for under a grand, but are we talking hotdog-down-a-hallway loose?

No, they are general purpose "1 thou" machines. That's about the tolerance to expect. They are actually nice enough machines, as they go. All the features they should have, and they work if not worn to bits.

Your price would be OK here for an 11" Logan, that one more like $700, with the QCGB.. Prices are higher out there.

No, they are general purpose "1 thou" machines.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it. There are gibs on the carriage itself so you can tweak how tight the carriage fits to the ways. I've had mine completely apart. The model number tells you if it has hardened ways. A 1875H would be harderned, a plain 1875 typically isn't hardned but you have to check the specs. Things changed over the years.

$700, with the QCGB.. Prices are higher out there.

In decent shape, out here on the east coast, it would be an $1800 lathe. $700 is what you'd expect to spend for a worn out flat belter. My local CL has 5 lathes on it, only the ancient ones are sub-$1000. From the sounds of it, east coast prices seem to be $500-1000 more than west coast.

These aren't particularly heavy. I moved mine with a mini-van and engine hoist. For this one, bigger than mine, I'd guess 1000-1200 lbs.

I agree with the “in decent shape” part. We’re it not for its condition, I’d expect this machine to fetch a bit above $2000.

Logan says this machine weighs ~770 lbs. I had considered disassembling it to transport. Thoughts?

I had considered disassembling it to transport. Thoughts?

I unbolted mine from the pedestals. Removed the tail stock. Using an engine hoist through the bed around webbing, I lifted the bed with head stock and carriage into the back of my minivan then stuck the rest of it in the van. It would have been easier with a trailer in some ways.

I moved my lathe before the logan with a trailer. If the tailgate comes off the trailer, you can roll the engine hoist under and place the lathe in a good spot. If it doesn't. you might have to do it from the side.

These things all rust. I have to keep dousing mine with oil to keep the rust at bay. Mine's in an outside unheated building but just the moisture in the air after a rain will cause surface rust on the machined surfaces.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had considered the engine hoist method. My plan is to move this machine using a flat-bed pickup truck I can borrow, and I don't think it could reach, hence the disassembly part, but I will consider renting a trailer.

I know what you mean about the rust, but this machine is a bit past that point. If I were to guess, I'd say it has been rained on, or not oiled for many, many years.

Rust that come clear with an emery or stone swipe is next to nothing, missing tread dial(half nut) is not a big deal.
Any more bad that that, like you can't run it because if stuff missing and it may be a parts machine worth 300 to 500.
Most likely the old chuck will also need replacing, so likely minus another $200.
A decent Logan or machine that size should go for perhaps $1.000 to $2,000.
A small lathe is easy to travel so I would widen the search and find a running, equipped lathe even if it costs $2K

From personal experience, it is sometimes better to miss a project lathe over spending more for one that's ready to go. My first lathe was never right and I didn't have another lathe to make the parts to make it right.

From personal experience, it is sometimes better to miss a project lathe over spending more for one that's ready to go. My first lathe was never right and I didn't have another lathe to make the parts to make it right.

haha! SOMETIMES??? always...

Back