What's new
What's new

Logan 7 Shaper Cleanup Repair and Repaint

Lost Pup

Aluminum
Logan 7 Shaper Cleanup and Repaint.

The original had a few issues to deal with. The left/right table moment was broken and locked in one position.
Made a few small parts and a new brass knob. The brass knob has a set screw which points to the actual table travel direction.

The pulley shaft was scored up and the pulley would wobble like mad in use. I cleaned up the pulley bore and the shaft and just shimmed it up.
Works great.

The original motor was so large its pulley was just outside proud of the base.
I replaced the motor with a good used one and then ordered a few sets of belts to dial in the travel of the varispeed pulley.
The wrong belt lengths were in use and the base was drilled and chipped away to give the top pulley clearance as well.
The right belts cleared this as well. In operation the varispeed pulley would clack/slamm side to side, very noisy.

The shaper was broken down, cleaned and stripped of paint, primered and repainted. I used the SB gray I had left from my drill press restore.
Paint was rolled and brushed on.

I placed the shaper on a thick piece of wood over a steel base and bolted thru. The wood deadens the sound from echoing of the steel mobile base.
Its operates perfectly at this point, a real keeper. Have to think about a adding support feet to stop the shaping from dancing accross the floor
which only happens at the higher speeds.

Pics tell the Story

Thoughts and Comments Welcome

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Hi All.
This shaper is going up for sale. Some life changes and it will need to go to a new home. I will list all the info in the for sale add and link back. Its going to take a few days. Prefer to list here with the great company that inspired me to restore it.
Thanks Again
Lost Pup
Bensalem PA 19020

Lost Pup,
Nice job! I have that Logan's twin. The seven inch models seem to be a bit rare. Your's has the knurled knob on the rear of the ram so it's an early version. Mine is serial No.12S63 which does not show up on any list I've found. You also have an original vise. I like to run the old gal and have even made some profit cutting internal keys in blind holes. Also rough square blocks of cast when needed. Cool old machines. A couple pics attached.
spaeth
DSCN2016.jpgDSCN2024.jpgDSCN2025.jpgDSCN2253.jpg

Lost Pup,
Nice job! I have that Logan's twin. The seven inch models seem to be a bit rare. Your's has the knurled knob on the rear of the ram so it's an early version. Mine is serial No.12S63 which does not show up on any list I've found. You also have an original vise. I like to run the old gal and have even made some profit cutting internal keys in blind holes. Also rough square blocks of cast when needed. Cool old machines. A couple pics attached.
spaeth
View attachment 288878View attachment 288879View attachment 288880View attachment 288881

Very Nice. Wanta twin to keep it company ?
Nice use of the penny.

Back