Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Even the literature says 9 speeds - 3 open belt, 3 low back gear, 3 high back gear. Or if a person sprung for a two speed counter shaft, 18

Drive all changes all this - assuming you are no longer moving the belt, you do in fact have twelve

Four not in BG, 4 in low BG and 4 in high back gear - but only because the Drive All is four speed
    Disregarding the drive all, The reason I think 12 is that you have 3 speeds via the cone pulley, then one hi/lo back gear multiples that to 6, and the other hi/lo back gear multiplies that to 12, correct? Does a double back gear work differently than a regular?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Disregarding the drive all, The reason I think 12 is that you have 3 speeds via the cone pulley, then one hi/lo back gear multiples that to 6, and the other hi/lo back gear multiplies that to 12, correct? Does a double back gear work differently than a regular?

As to BG - it is either one or the other - no effect on each other - plainly clarified in spec sheets as two differing stand alone ratios

Thumbnail shows the L&S 14 having 2.75:1 and 7.9:1 BG ratios
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails l-spg26.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

3 speeds in headstock (direct, high back gear, low back gear) times three speeds on cone pulley equals nine possible combinations.

4. Likes awander liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok so it isn't two sets of back gears, it's a single 3 speed back gear. I'm catching on.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so it isn't two sets of back gears, it's a single 3 speed back gear. I'm catching on.

Except DOUBLE back gears has two separate selectable ratios - resulting in SIX back geared speeds assuming the three steps of the cone pulley are being used.

Maybe looking at this 24" Greaves Klusman with its simple on-the-fly shiftable clutch allowing the operator to select low or high back gear will make it clearer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000345sm.jpg   p1000347sm.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's one way of looking at it; the 3 "back gear" speeds are:
    -Back gear not engaged
    -Back gear ratio 1 engaged
    -Back gear ratio 2 engaged

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if it's 6, 9, or 12 speeds, I'm sure I could make it work. I'd mainly want to ditch the overhead gear box as it's negating the 3 speed cone pulley, but also just because I'd like to run on overhead driven flat belt lathe. If I didn't have the needed speeds for a job, I'd probably just utilize a VFD drive. I went through my motor pile and found a couple 5HP, a 1HP, and a 1.5HP (which might get the job). All are 3 phase.

I think we sorted out the shipping for the lathe. The current owner has been very helpful in getting it prepped for a move. I need to wrap up a machine I'm sending his way and then the money can start changing hands and the freighters can have their fun.

I'm thinking about setting this lathe up in my garage at home, so it will need to run off of a rotary converter. It's a little suburban 2 car garage (more like 2 compact car garage) that is already full of junk and I'm making room to assemble a 54' Chevy sedan I'm restoring. I think I've got it worked out though that I'm going to rebuild some storage shelves and bench's to integrate around the lathe against the wall. The shelves will go underneath and support a pair of chip pans under the bed, and the bench will be made to fit over the left end of the bed so it can be pulled away from the lathe when needed. I've been needing to get an arbor press in there too, but I've also always wanted to mount one on a lathe bed such as was once common when pressing lathe arbors in and out of parts for turning between centers. I'm also building a gantry hoist that will be needed to get the bed off a trailer and to assemble the lathe in place.

I sold my 10" Logan last year and was originally planning on bring in our old 9" South Bend or the South Bend Heavy 10 from our shop to take it's place.... but you never know when you'll need a couple extra inch's of swing.... or an extra MILE of bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have the seller take off the Drive-All if you wish, though I can't see why. (These are 1), good working, and 2), excellent historically.)

Have the seller give me the Drive-All, I'm in a neighboring state, and I already have three machines with these, I'll come get it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just an update: If everything goes to plan, the lathe will be loading onto a truck and departing Mass. this Friday. So I could have it here in Texas between Wednesday and Friday of next week.

I'm working out a location for it and a new source of power. I'm thinking about tying it in to the line-shafting that is driving my Tool and Cutter grinder and just bumping the motor up from a 1HP to a 5HP. I also picked up a big chunk of Maple that will turn into a new upper step pulley for the lathe. The literature for the 14" Whitcomb lathe advises for 225 RPM to come into a 12" pulley on the lathes counter-shaft, so I can fill in the blanks from there.

For a clutch, I'm considering setting up a slip clutch between a pair of 12" pulleys on the counter-shaft side-by-side. One idle and the other driven. The other option would be to set the counter-shaft up on a hinge so that the belt running down to the lathe can go loose to taught, similar to the horizontal counter-shaft on a bench-top tool room lathe, but vertically.