What's new
What's new

Looking to identify a lathe. Any help would be appreciated.

krzysztof

Plastic
I'd appreciate help identifying this lathe:

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 3.29.28 PM.jpg

It has no labels on it. The only label I found was on the electric motor:

IMG_3473.jpg

Thanks for help!

Krzystof, I believe you should post more (at least 10) and better photos, these are nearly unreadable.
Also anything relevant - where did you find the lathe, what has it been used for, how old do you think it is.
As the only label says 'Siemens' I should think you will get response from one of the german forums.
If you do a little bit of detective work it will help members of this forum to assist you.
Best regards, fusker

Thanks fusker for the feedback! You're certainly right.

Here are some better quality pictures:

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3497.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

I didn't get too much information from previous owner.

It's most likely German lathe, produced most likely early XX century.

The label on the motor most likely says siemens-schuckert. This company ceased operation in 1966.
I bought this lathe in Poland. It seems it has a modified switch.

There are several layers of paint on it, first layer seems to be grey, followed by green and red. I think it was originally green(with grey primer?).

Except for that I have no other information.

I will create accounts on German forums. I'll definitely post here if I find any info there.

Thanks for help!

Your lathe has the tumbler reverse for the lead screw on the inside of the head stock similar to a Seneca Falls lathe that makes it distinctive.
There are a number of threads about lathes with this feature on this forum .
I didn’t check to carefully but it could be a model by Erlich or patterned after one .
Oscar Ehrlich Lathes
There are some more links you could check for a match in this thread .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...e-id-351998/?highlight=Tumbler+Reverse+Inside
I can’t take the time right now to explore more.
Regards,
Jim

krysztof, I hope you will tell us when you turn up more information.
I think you have a very good machine there, maybe not all that precise but very useful in a small workshop for everyday operations.
Take care with the paint repair job, use the original colors. And make a nice set of covers so you don't get caught in the gears. Stick to the original design if you can.
The reference to Oscar Ehrlich lathes looks promising.
Regards, fusker

Last edited:
Jim, thanks for the reply! I will follow your tumbler reverse lead and research more!

fusker, I'm now planning to restore this lathe, so I'm slowly inspecting everything and trying to assess what needs to be done to make it operational again.
I'm also asking around in local machine shops if anyone knows anything.
Next week I'm going to go and ask for a quote for getting the bed precision ground by professional shop that does lathe restoration and maintenance. I'm hoping to maybe get some info from them as they probably have seen a lot of different machines in the past.

The lathe is pretty much unusable right now, but I'll do my best to get it to working condition.
I already matched the paint color to the original :) But that will have to wait quite a bit... I need to get it to work first.

Unfortunately no more info s far. I will definitely post when I know more.

Thanks!

Another similar looking lathe turned up in a Google Image search I did for Lathe Made in Poland
How did resistance forces make barrels for Sten guns? - Quora
Perhaps not an exact match for yours.
If you try a Google Image search using google.pl in Polish using Old Lathe Made in Poland or something similar you may get more results than I would in Canada on google.ca.
Lathe Made In Poland - Google Search
I have seen modern lathes made in Poland here in Canada from about 1980 under the AFM and Poreba brands but didn’t look into their history .

Not Polish, German. This is a Fischer KBSnf lathe. A google search for fischer drehbank should show some similar units. Someone has cut the white lead dauber hole off the tailstock. Otherwise, looks pretty original.

allan

No problem. The lathe just screams 'intra-war german', but the clincher for me is that thing on the front of the apron. As soon as I saw that, I knew it was a Fischer. They usually cast their name in the left hand cabinet door, now missing. There would have been very little other badging on the machine, mostly so that it could be easily rebadged by British importers :)

allan

I actually have the left hand cabinet door but it has nothing on it. I'll strip the paint to investigate if the logo was removed or was not there at all.
Thanks again for the help!

Back