What's new
What's new

Looking for information for a Hendey lathe

Bob Dorn

Plastic
I found an old Hendey Lathe and was wondering if I might find some history on it here.
It is a Pre tie bar Serial number 4572, stamped on the bed cross member directly under the headstock is the number 6 854 624
On the WP Norton gearbox are the numbers 11 1/2 STD 48SSC069
This is a big machine 24" swing 45" from spindle to tailstock.
The spindle has a 3 1/2"-4tpi thread and MT 6 center hole
Has a single wall apron and the carriage is 31" long
The guy i bought it from thought it was a 1901.
It runs but i have not made any cuts at this time, getting it cleaned up and a few minor repairs.
Thanks for any info

Bob.

Bob Dorn:

Hendey lathe No. 4572, a 24 x 8, Cone Head model, was completed on July 24, 1901. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment. Hendey built
two styles of 24 inch lathes, a light and a heavy, this is the No. 26 heavy model. As such, it came with an auxiliary Tool Post mounted
on the left hand side of the carriage. This lathe is about the smallest lengthwise that Hendey made, bed lengths were seven feet to
twenty-four feet. The Spindle Bushing is a No. 6 Morse Taper to a No. 4-1/2 Morse Taper. One interesting fact about the 24 inch lathes
made during this period is that unlike all of the other sizes of lathes, except the 32 inch models, this lathe is not set up to cut the
11-1/2 pipe thread. With a 2-1/8 inch Spindle bore, you would think that this would be an ideal size lathe to thread up to 1-1/2 inch
pipe. The original owner was W. H. Folhurst and Son, Troy, New York. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in
inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. The total weight
with Taper Attachment and Countershaft is 4310lbs.

Hendeyman

Thank you.

Bob Dorn:

Hendey lathe No. 4572, a 24 x 8, Cone Head model, was completed on July 24, 1901. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment. Hendey built
two styles of 24 inch lathes, a light and a heavy, this is the No. 26 heavy model. As such, it came with an auxiliary Tool Post mounted
on the left hand side of the carriage. This lathe is about the smallest lengthwise that Hendey made, bed lengths were seven feet to
twenty-four feet. The Spindle Bushing is a No. 6 Morse Taper to a No. 4-1/2 Morse Taper. One interesting fact about the 24 inch lathes
made during this period is that unlike all of the other sizes of lathes, except the 32 inch models, this lathe is not set up to cut the
11-1/2 pipe thread. With a 2-1/8 inch Spindle bore, you would think that this would be an ideal size lathe to thread up to 1-1/2 inch
pipe. The original owner was W. H. Folhurst and Son, Troy, New York. The are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in
inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. The total weight
with Taper Attachment and Countershaft is 4310lbs.

Hendeyman

Thank you for the information, I enjoy knowing the history behind this lathe.
Bob Dorn

Maybe same?

I identified this as 24 due to odd apron with no clutch knob in carriage hand wheel

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/.../maybe-he-meant-24-a-363960/?highlight=Hendey

Yes this is the lathe i have.
I have removed the 4" riser blocks under the headstock and tailstock, when the head and tail were raised up an additional gear was added to fill in the space, the problem this created is the the lead screw rotated in the wrong direction, probably not a big issue unless you try to set a stop to automatically disengage the lead screw with the forward and reverse lever as the rod was at the end of its travel and to disengage it had to move the other direction, It looks better too in stock configuration.
The carriage traverse clutch is just to the right of the hand wheel on the apron.
Thank you for your interest in my project
Bob Dorn

Back