What's new
What's new

Looking for information on a Morrow chuck

Kirk H.

Plastic
I have 2 Morrow Chucks, made by The E.Horton & Son Co. of Windsor Locks Connecticut. I need to get them apart for cleaning and rust removal. I think these are very similar to an Albrecht chuck, but so far haven't found any pictures of the disassembly of an Albrecht chuck either. Does anyone here have information or pictures of how these come apart? I was able to get the nose cone off one of them and the jaws slid out, but it will only turn a few turns and gets tight, Needs more cleaning. Thanks for any help in advance. Kirk

The best thing I can suggest is to look at places where a shoulder ends and look at it with a loupe, see if it's a joint. From there you may either need to unscrew it, RH or LH thread, or press it apart.
It's a risky business that can result in destruction of the chuck, but without alternatives you have to go with whatever works.
To unscrew it make a special wrench out of two pieces of phenolic or aluminum, find the diameter you want to hold, place shim stock between the two pieces of phenolic, then bore right down that split. Then drill holes for bolts that will squeeze down tight on that diameter, put the assembly in the vise and unscrew it. Typically you'll need to make two such special friction wrenches.

Back