What's new
What's new

Looking for more information on a drill press I purchased

iuctx

Aluminum
I ran across an old Solberga SE725 on Craigslist a few weeks back. The seller had picked up a dozen drills at some surplus auction and was having trouble getting rid of this one, mainly because it was 3 phase 440v. In addition to that dilemma, he did not have 3 phase available to show that it worked. Normally I am not a gambler, but I was feeling lucky! ... that makes me sound like a gambler.

Anyhow, got it to the shop and woo-hoo it works, power down feed and all. I *think* this machine came from the former General Dynamics plant (Lockheed Martin now days) which is right down the road. It is painted a baby blue (or at least it's baby blue now) and there is what looks like an asset tag which reads 'GD/FW' maybe that is something else entirely.

Is there any way to determine the age via serial number?

Also, is it possible to find a manual online?

I contacted HH Roberts, but all they could really tell me was 'obsolete'.

Worked at Generous Disgusting for a few years. Yup, that's what they used for tags. Can't help with age too much, but the place was Consolidated Vultee until 1954. I used lots of tools marked CV.
Edit, look for Industrial green under the blue. They were just starting in with the blue when I left about 81.

Worked at Generous Disgusting for a few years. Yup, that's what they used for tags. Can't help with age too much, but the place was Consolidated Vultee until 1954. I used lots of tools marked CV.
Edit, look for Industrial green under the blue. They were just starting in with the blue when I left about 81.

Yes, I have noticed some of the green showing through. Here are a few pics. The only thing 'missing' were some of the handles for raising lowering the head and drill surface/table. Thanks for taking a look.

IMG_20190130_183239.jpg
IMG_20190130_183309.jpg
IMG_20190212_133750.jpg
IMG_20190130_183152.jpg
IMG_20190212_104659.jpg

We quit using the GD/FW tags in the late 70's. With a property number of 77xxx, it was most likely bought during the ramp up of the F-16 program for the main machine shop, the mod shop or the flight test shop. I used to have access to all the data, when property control was part of my engineering job.

We quit using the GD/FW tags in the late 70's. With a property number of 77xxx, it was most likely bought during the ramp up of the F-16 program for the main machine shop, the mod shop or the flight test shop. I used to have access to all the data, when property control was part of my engineering job.

Thanks for the history lesson! I was considering repainting it, but I think that would take away from this particular drill and it's background. I can't find a manual for it anywhere.

I have a user manual and parts diagram for the SE-725 but cannot upload the PDFs here - they're too big. Send me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Tom

Back