Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking for more information on a drill press I purchased

I ran across an old Solberga SE725 on Craigslist a few weeks back. The seller had picked up a dozen drills at some surplus auction and was having trouble getting rid of this one, mainly because it was 3 phase 440v. In addition to that dilemma, he did not have 3 phase available to show that it worked. Normally I am not a gambler, but I was feeling lucky! ... that makes me sound like a gambler.

Anyhow, got it to the shop and woo-hoo it works, power down feed and all. I *think* this machine came from the former General Dynamics plant (Lockheed Martin now days) which is right down the road. It is painted a baby blue (or at least it's baby blue now) and there is what looks like an asset tag which reads 'GD/FW' maybe that is something else entirely.

Is there any way to determine the age via serial number?

Also, is it possible to find a manual online?

I contacted HH Roberts, but all they could really tell me was 'obsolete'.

2. Likes robobonobo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Worked at Generous Disgusting for a few years. Yup, that's what they used for tags. Can't help with age too much, but the place was Consolidated Vultee until 1954. I used lots of tools marked CV.
    Edit, look for Industrial green under the blue. They were just starting in with the blue when I left about 81.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudd View Post
    Worked at Generous Disgusting for a few years. Yup, that's what they used for tags. Can't help with age too much, but the place was Consolidated Vultee until 1954. I used lots of tools marked CV.
    Edit, look for Industrial green under the blue. They were just starting in with the blue when I left about 81.
    Yes, I have noticed some of the green showing through. Here are a few pics. The only thing 'missing' were some of the handles for raising lowering the head and drill surface/table. Thanks for taking a look.

img_20190130_183239.jpg
    img_20190130_183309.jpg
    img_20190212_133750.jpg
    img_20190130_183152.jpg
    img_20190212_104659.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Drill press age

Just a guess but I'd guess it came of the production line on Feb 4 1975 based on the last picture.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mulder View Post
    Just a guess but I'd guess it came of the production line on Feb 4 1975 based on the last picture.
    Yeah, that was my first guess too. I have seen at least one more online with the same numbers. They could be twins!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe you could try contacting them directly in Sweden.
    Solberga - Machinery Scandinavia
    Regards,
    Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    Maybe you could try contacting them directly in Sweden.
    Solberga - Machinery Scandinavia
    Regards,
    Jim
    I sent them an email. So far I have found ONE person selling (reproduction) manuals for all sorts of old machinery. He is on eBay, Amazon, and has his own website. He is asking $90 for this one, or $75 to email me the PDF! He who has the gold makes the rules!! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We quit using the GD/FW tags in the late 70's. With a property number of 77xxx, it was most likely bought during the ramp up of the F-16 program for the main machine shop, the mod shop or the flight test shop. I used to have access to all the data, when property control was part of my engineering job.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
    We quit using the GD/FW tags in the late 70's. With a property number of 77xxx, it was most likely bought during the ramp up of the F-16 program for the main machine shop, the mod shop or the flight test shop. I used to have access to all the data, when property control was part of my engineering job.
    Thanks for the history lesson! I was considering repainting it, but I think that would take away from this particular drill and it's background. I can't find a manual for it anywhere.