What's new
What's new

Looking for parts for a craftsman Power hacksaw

Dolfy67

Plastic
I’m looking for parts for a power hacksaw made by craftsman. Looks to be a model from the 40s or 50s. Thanks!

Cause after the apocalypse, assuming there is electricity yer gonna need to cut up dead tree carcasses with.
My dad had one, and holy shit was skookum as hell.

They are modest performers. I have one, use it quite a bit and its a big improvement over DIY with a hacksaw. The kerf is prone to wander a bit without some care in setting blade tension and work support. Adjustments are primitive and no way to feed with precision but they will cut, the win is perhaps the compact footprint.

Craftsman often put their name on products made by other companies. Try to find out who made it. They wont have parts but it may give you a bigger target for parts.

First Three Digits of the Model Number is a Manufacturer's Code

Hey, I'm surprised that no one asked the OP to post the model number, because the first three digits of a Sears model number is a code that identifies the manufacturer. This prefix is usually followed by a dot. The code list is posted on several internet sites.

This is still true in recent times, perhaps up until today.

Like any big box store, many Sears goods are "made to a price point" and may not have 100% of the manufacturer's usual quality standards.

There's one three-digit Sears code which is associated with machines so abhorrent to the owner of the PM site that their discussion is entirely banned! The rationale is that these machine tools are hopelessly amateurish and don't belong on a site which is dedicated to practical professionals. (And don't mention the code or the thread will get locked! Automated searches are done to find mention of these contraband objects.)

John Ruth

...There's one three-digit Sears code which is associated with machines so abhorrent to the owner of the PM site that their discussion is entirely banned! The rationale is that these machine tools are hopelessly amateurish and don't belong on a site which is dedicated to practical professionals. (And don't mention the code or the thread will get locked! Automated searches are done to find mention of these contraband objects.)

John Ruth

Note that this thread qualifies for locking in two ways. The craftsman and hacksaw in the title should have rung alarms. I guess the boss and the bots are sleeping.

John, the Sears rule is not vendor code specific. This is the relevant section, as found here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machinery-discussion-guidelines-137724/

"Also not allowed for discussions on PM now-

*Atlas/ Craftsman/Dunlap products - anywhere

*Sherline and Taig - anywhere, including CNC versions

*Hacksaws- anywhere

*Horizontal shapers - Antique Machinery forum only​

Last edited by Milacron; 01-31-2013 at 10:35 PM."

Larry

I'm going out on a limb and permitting this topic- the little hacksaws are very infrequently mentioned. Threads about these machines have arisen a few times in the last several years and the conversation has been civil and pertinent. Though not an antique in this case, examples of antique powered hacksaws are plentiful, some quite sophisticated. If there is to be a beat-down, it will land on me first :)

Mod

Back