Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default looking for a recommendation for a lathe on/off switch with emergency stop

Rewiring the monarch 16CY. The original motor starter looks to be fine. Could also use the original on/off switch but want to rig an E-stop as well. I'm thinking something with an integral E stop might be the way to go. Anyone got a favorite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What do you want to accomplish with your E-stop?

A true E-stop that would actually stop the spindle motor without coasting will either need a plugging switch or else a magnetic brake.

If you are going to do less than this, then it is not a real E-stop and nothing more than a fancy off switch.

3. Likes Joe Michaels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think e stops apply to clutched lathes like the CY. The clutch lever disengages clutch and applies brake - assuming that did not wear out long ago

5. Likes Joe Michaels, 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With a VFD hookup and a big brake resistor added to it, this will get as close as you can get it to a E-stop condition. Won't stop on a dime but maybe in a half or one turn before stop. Just remember, these old machines aren't used to brute forces of sudden stops and may cause damage to the head stocks, doubtful but could happen. To me anything to bring the spindle to a complete stop in fewer revolutions that it was originally designed to is an improvement over the old.

Just remember to learn how to respect "old iron" like your lathe. And enjoy using it. And don't let others play with your iron unless the know what they are doing. Ken

7. Likes Riderusty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not familiar with that machine, but if it has a threaded spindle, you don't want to stop the spindle quickly, or your chuck can unscrew.

If it's a D camlock, L-xx spindle or some other pinned or keyed spindle, then no problem.

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was clearly showing my ignorance. I thought an E-stop simply cut power and was not aware it also stopped the spindle against inertia. I guess i was just looking for a recommendation for a big old stop switch you could hit with your knee (assuming it is mounted at chip pan height).