What's new
What's new

Lost Hendey Serial Number cards found

hendeyman

Stainless
For the last fifteen years I have been supplying the history of Hendey lathes and to a degree Hendey Shapers. There have
been times I have had to post that the serial number card had been misfiled at Aable Machine Tool years ago and I wasn't
able to supply the requested information. I had an idea that Mr. McCune, owner of Aable Machine Tool had removed the cards
from the files and never returned them. For a number of years, he had been developing dementia and would simply forget
where he obtained an item. He would toss them in a drawer or any other handy place never to be seen again. Because Mrs
McCune refused to allow me on the property to search for the missing items, I had to work with the cards I had. Mrs McCune
died a few years ago and the property was put up for sale. An agreement was reached last week with the remaining family
member to allow me to remove any Hendey material that was on the property. I was able to remove the last Hendey items from
the McCune property this weekend, this included the missing Serial Number cards.

If you requested information concerning your lathe or possibly your shaper, please resubmit your serial number here on the
Forum or directly to me at: [email protected] and I will see what I can find. In the near future, I will post details
of the problems that have occurred over the past twenty years trying to preserve Hendey history.

Hendeyman

That is pretty cool that you were able to find the missing info after so many years, congratulations!

I've been searching for a set of blueprints for a building for almost 20 years, I've chased leads into many archives to no avail, until new info is found, my leads have run dry.

I don't own a Hendey but I'm a big fan of preserving history, so this triumph of perseverance really hits the spot. It's great that the efforts you've put in have been rewarded.

Now I wish for the missing Monarch files to show up!

Wonderful that you were able to retrieve them after all these years!

I do have a lathe that you were previously unable to identify, a 1939 Tool & Gage, serial 30757. Let me know if this is among the newly found serial cards. Thanks.

Wonderful that you were able to retrieve them after all these years!

I do have a lathe that you were previously unable to identify, a 1939 Tool & Gage, serial 30757. Let me know if this is among the newly found serial cards. Thanks.

This is great and thanks for your determination.

jwearing:

Yes, your Serial Number Card is now back in the files, but it doesn't contain much useful information.

Hendey lathe No.30757, a 9 x 18 Toolmakers" lathe, was completed on August 22, 1940 and was sold to the New York
shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey.

The Serial Number Cards weren't the only items in my deal with Aable Machine that I was prevented from removing. In two
of the file cabinets, I removed this weekend, were the original Order Forms. These span a period, at first inspection,
from 1930 until the end of production in 1954. A quick look at one of the drawers, that had not been put back in the
cabinet, covered one thousand machines with Serial Numbers from 29,000 to 30,000. Given a few more days to sort things
out and I may be able to post all of the details on the original order form for your lathe. I have more cabinets to remove
and the new owners have not put any time constraints on this process, which takes a lot of stress off.

Hendeyman

jwearing:

Yes, your Serial Number Card is now back in the files, but it doesn't contain much useful information.

Hendey lathe No.30757, a 9 x 18 Toolmakers" lathe, was completed on August 22, 1940 and was sold to the New York
shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey.

Thanks Hendeyman!

Interesting coincidence, my other T&G parts-donor machine #36734 was also a NY Shipbuilding Corporation machine. They really liked their Hendeys!

shapeaholic:

I found the serial Number Card for your lathe and there is a chance that I may find the original Order Form which could
possibly contain more information. I will quote all of the information on the Serial Number Card, which gives a different
size, but the last line in the entry may help explain the size difference.

AHL 40056 5/29/56 9"x24" T&G Lathe-CR-OP-Reg.Equip.-CamLockSpdle.-Mag.Amp.Power Unit-TA- 6" & 5" Chucks-#91-C4 Jacobs
Collet-work Light-CATERPILLAR TRACTOR CO., PEORIA, ILLINOIS 440/3/60 RECONDITIONED on 8/1/62

The reconditioning may account for the increase in length. CR = Compound Rest OP = Oil Pan The Reconditioning was
assigned Job Number 765-599 This lathe was part of batch Number AA5. I have found one other lathe in this batch that was
reconditioned and its bed length was increased to 36". I would make an educated guess that "R" stands for reconditioned.
TA = Taper Attachment

Hendeyman

scepkowski:

Hendey Lathe No.36514, a 14 x 30, 18 Speed Geared Head model was completed on July 28, 1945. It was shipped with a Compound
Rest, an Oil Pan, a set of No. 6 Collets, Timken Bearings, Taper Spindle Nose and Vee Belt Motor drive. It is an RS model
(swings 14-1/2 inches over the bed). The original owner was David Kahn, Inc., North Bergen, New Jersey. There are still a
few Patterns, Casting and Repair Parts left in inventory. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can
be made if required.

Hendeyman

AHL 40056 5/29/56 9"x24" T&G Lathe-CR-OP-Reg.Equip.-CamLockSpdle.-Mag.Amp.Power Unit-TA- 6" & 5" Chucks-#91-C4 Jacobs
Collet-work Light-CATERPILLAR TRACTOR CO., PEORIA, ILLINOIS 440/3/60 RECONDITIONED on 8/1/62

Hendeyman

Thanks Hendeyman!!
That is a lot of history right there!
I had suspected that the lathe had been reconditioned (R). Very interesting that there may possibly be another 9x36 machine still out there. What serial was the other machine in batch AA5
Do you have any idea what Reg.Equip. would have included?
The machine now has:
compound rest
oil pan
Mag Amp power
6" & 5" chucks
Jacobs #91-c4 chuck
micrometer carriage stop
Taper attachment
Steady rest
Follow rest. (almost complete)
carriage autofeed stop mechanism
Metric and DP Change gear set (under construction)

Many Thanks
Peter

Thanks Hendeyman you rule! I wish you were near Tampa Florida and could come check it out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

shapeaholic:

The other lathe with a 36 inch bed was originally a 9x24, before reconditioning. It carried Serial Number AHL 40053 and was
built on May 29, 1957. It was reconditioned on November 15, 1962. The original owner was the CATERPILLAR TRACTOR COMPANY,
PEORIA, ILLINOIS. I would like to find the original Order Forms to understand why these lathes were built exactly one year
apart. "Regular" equipment refers to all of the items that are listed at the bottom of the catalog description. If you
don't have a copy of this material , I can send you one.

Hendeyman

J.R.Thiele:

Hendey lathe No. 31137, a 9 x 18 Toolmaker's model, was ordered on March 13, 1940 and entered into the Order book on March
14, 1940. It was completed on January 22, 1941 and the original owner was The Torrington Company, Excelsior Plant,
Torrington, Connecticut. The Serial Number Card only listed the completion date, size of machine and the original owner,
the Order Date was taken from the original Order Form. For the last fifteen years I have not had access to these files.
They were a part of my original Hendey deal, but I was not allowed to remove them from the Aable Machine property until
last week. Since the Order Forms contain much more information than the Serial Number Cards, I will post information from
the Order Forms if they are still in the files. Because Hendey and Torrington were in the same town, no agent or ship to
address is listed, here is the rest of the information.

9" x 18" Tool and Gage Maker's Lathe CR (CR = Compound Rest)
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as listed in Catalog)
Ball Bearings on Main Spindle
Cam Lock type flanged spindle nose
Spindle speeds - 40 to 2000 R.P.M.
Thread chasing dial
Taper Attachment
Furnish and fit Cushman 5" 3 jaw universal chuck
#6 drawing-in sleeve, closer and knockout rod
15 #6 collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 16ths
Arranged for motor drive, Fit motor and control - 440 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles
General Electric ball bearing, dynamically balanced, 1-1/2 HP, 1800 RPM, type K, frame 224 and starter CR-7009-B20A, push
button CR-2940-3A1
P.I.V. Unit, #1/2 Verical, 4 to 1 ratio
Motor must be ordered with Lead Wires on top of Frame instead of side

Hendeyman

Back