What's new
What's new

Lubricants for Gorton 9J

HWH2008

Plastic
Greetings, I have just acquired a Gorton 9J mill and was wondering what those of you who have them or similar were using for lubricants? I think I have substitutes for everything but the gargoyle grease BRB No. 2.

Thank you,

1e3ef84efa2112d112871feb6000356a.jpg

069361e9dc2131bcdaee3699c2ee6137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! On the Gorton's we had, I don't recall adding any grease to any of the zerks for all of the years we owned them. Oh yeah, we did oil them, especially the spindle. As for what kind of grease, I would say and NGL grade 2 grease should be sufficient. Motor bearings, too if you don't have a motor grease handy. Don't put too much in the motor bearings, it will ozz out onto the pulleys and create a mess. I only recall about six places to squirt grease into on the mills. Be careful, There are many places that require oil and not grease, especially on the table and saddle. Ken

Thanks for the reply Ken. It has a power feed on Z, but doesn’t look like the type I’ve seen in the manual I printed off. It also came with tooling adapters and set of ZZ collets.

6c10d36e94a654fe7063ea064554ca05.jpg

9017ed13babcb59d2b02d058182cd077.jpg
95441facc71bb27d769068220e21f057.jpg

da3afdceb07043b755898ef6b4526516.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Gargoyle" was a trade name of Socony Vacuum was it not? Socony Vacuum later became Mobil oil and later Exxon Mobil I think... On the motor bearings that take grease, be careful to not push grease into windings and cause temperature rise and motor damage...If there is a purge plug in the grease well, use it.. Ramsay 1:)

Been too many years to remember if the motor had purge plugs or not. I only remember us greasing the motor when we first got the mills and never again. That's terrible!

HWH, your mill was just a little older than the oldest one we had. All I remember of the serial number was something like 18,000 something, built in 1938. It did not have the Z power feed. That was super nice that you got all those B & S No. 10 arbors, they are getting hard to find. We had a arbor that held the ZZ collets but seldom used it. After we sold the mill in 2004, I wound up with it for a short period of time. Now owned by a buddy of mine south of San Antonio, TX. Will say, they are super nice mills with limited versatility as a Bridgeport has, but weights about 1200 lbs more!

Ken

"Gargoyle" was a trade name of Socony Vacuum was it not? Socony Vacuum later became Mobil oil and later Exxon Mobil I think... On the motor bearings that take grease, be careful to not push grease into windings and cause temperature rise and motor damage...If there is a purge plug in the grease well, use it.. Ramsay 1:)

Indeed. Tag in Post #1 states such

From memory, Gargoyle BRB was sold as Mobilgrease BRB before being discontinued. Also from membory, the BRB meant "ball and roller bearing", and the grease was simply a sodium-soap thickened grease . . . essentially a cousin to what auto supply stores sold -- under dozens of different brands -- as "wheel bearing and universal joint grease" before disc brakes became common.

Back