What's new
What's new

Lucas 41 HBM

Mr.Green

Cast Iron
Its the cutest little HBM I have ever seen.
I have casually been looking for a HBM, this is close to home and I went to take a look at it. I am worried it may be too small and I would need a bigger working envelope sooner than later, plus I could buy a much bigger one for what the asking price is.

22ca84fbe16d2ca53760bba119dd9fb4.jpg
4e8e2ea27d96054a87f08aa758d79210.jpg
ca2a8e95d2693f47da03606570e81ee9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Poor copies of manuals available for emailing if you care to private message me that address. Paid Lucas way too much long ago

Serial says about 1929 - so I would imagine it has the plain spindle bearing set up

Scan from those days

Lucas Plain Bearing Info.jpg

These are very ordinary spindle nose wise - 5MT with draw back key slot

1929 is likely well before such things as Nitralloy spindles and spindle sleeves

Max spindle speed of 381 RPM also suggests plain spindle bearings. I have a similar sized 3" Universal from about 1929 with max spindle speed of 650 RPM

Poor copies of manuals available for emailing if you care to private message me that address. Paid Lucas way too much long ago

Serial says about 1929 - so I would imagine it has the plain spindle bearing set up

Scan from those days

View attachment 310138

These are very ordinary spindle nose wise - 5MT with draw back key slot

1929 is likely well before such things as Nitralloy spindles and spindle sleeves
Been used by one guy in his shop to repair screw machines. Operates wonderfully

Its the cutest little HBM I have ever seen.
I have casually been looking for a HBM, this is close to home and I went to take a look at it. I am worried it may be too small and I would need a bigger working envelope sooner than later, plus I could buy a much bigger one for what the asking price is.

So you're not going to buy it then? Someone else (not me, too far away and I already have 2) will.

Is the bigger cheaper one in the same excellent condition?

Trust me, given the space available, there's no downside in having a smaller one and a bigger one. I use my smaller one a lot more than the bigger one as everything is lighter and easier to set up.

PDW

So you're not going to buy it then? Someone else (not me, too far away and I already have 2) will.

Is the bigger cheaper one in the same excellent condition?

Trust me, given the space available, there's no downside in having a smaller one and a bigger one. I use my smaller one a lot more than the bigger one as everything is lighter and easier to set up.

PDW
If someone else wants to pay up for it, I don't care. I just wanted to go see exactly how big it was. I would have to have my forklift transport guy winch it on his flatbed, or haul my big lift, or rent or hire a rigger, I can haul it. Minimal tooling, a bit of work to get it turned and rolled outside, its a bit pricey for me, but maybe not someone else.

If someone else wants to pay up for it, I don't care. I just wanted to go see exactly how big it was. I would have to have my forklift transport guy winch it on his flatbed, or haul my big lift, or rent or hire a rigger, I can haul it. Minimal tooling, a bit of work to get it turned and rolled outside, its a bit pricey for me, but maybe not someone else.

I bought my Universal Sight Unseen for next to nothing. Shipping it and getting it rigged into the shop cost about 6x the purchase price.

Sure seems pricey for a slow plain bearing machine. The last machine I saw close to that age sold for weight. Of course this one does look pretty good.

Sure seems pricey for a slow plain bearing machine. The last machine I saw close to that age sold for weight. Of course this one does look pretty good.
It is in really good condition, I think its smaller size may make it a bit more desirable, but I'm afraid that what I think is a fair value would probably insult them considering what they are asking. Honestly, its probably worth its weight plus 1/2 what the dro cost and 1/2 of what the big face mill cost.

It was worth the 40 minute drive just to talk to the old guy that ran it for the last 30 years.

Major lack of tooling, no correct MT5 tooling that can actually be locked into the spindle nose correctly.

8k. [emoji38]

Yeah OK that's a dreaming price unless it's totally loaded with tooling, and you say not. And even then, I'd think it well OTT.

FWIW I paid less than $2500 AUD for my 1950's Kearns OA model with roller bearing spindle, rear bar support and zero tooling. The flash rust from leaving it in the weather before sale came at no extra cost. Fortunately it cleaned off fine.

That's a crazy ask. I'd expect a much more modern, much faster machine with plenty of tooling for that price.

Regards Tyrone
Apparently someone bought it today, hopefully they got a bit better deal, or they just didn't care? Rather have a bit bigger one anyway.

Back