What's new
What's new

Machine Auctions I'm a sucker

tfuquajr

Aluminum
Just discovered internet Auctions the other day and I not sure if this was a lucky find or not?
There was one about an hour from the house so I decided to bid I won four items if it were not for the mandatory rigging and loading fees to be paid I would have been out just a few hundred dollers but after all was said and done it cost me about $1400.00 here are some pics of what we brought home it took three trips 2 with the tandem dual gooseneck and one with my friends 18' flat bed with a winch enjoy and let me know what a sucker I am :scratchchin:
IMG_0383.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0389.jpgIMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpg

Not done yet
IMG_0384.jpgIMG_0385.jpgIMG_0387.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0397.jpg
The Bardons & Oliver is my 12 yro sons lathe the owner of the shop gave it to him.

And a few more
I guess I've used all my space
All total we brought home;
2 dividers with chucks both horizontal and vertical
2 Milwaukee horizontal mills (that do run)
2 Cincinnati Horizontal (One working one with the knee pulled off but have all parts)
1 Bardons & Oliver #21 turret lathe (Working)
1 W&S #3 M1200 turret lathe (working)
about a 1000# of end mills all shapes and sizes some good some not
1 Cincinnati 50 taper vertical attachment (appears to be complete)
1 J&L #6 finishing lathe (got the motor going but need to repair air leak)
and quite a bit of other parts pieces and tools.

I too have the Iron infection my wife has been seeking a cure for years but I think its hopeless.
I thought I was going to shed some tears last year I hauled an old surface grinder to the scrap yard it wieghed in around 10K but I was able to save the magnetic chuck and some screws off of it:)

You Got All That for Only $1,400 ? Wow !

Whether or not it was a wise use of $1,400 largely depends on what kind of work you do, or want to do, and/or whether or not you enjoy tinkering and have time to do so.

The mills in the first photo have their over-arms, arbor supports, and arbors, all of which are frequently MIA on old mills, so that's a plus right there.

Turret lathes are fascinating machines. In a limited set of mass-production circumstances, they can make money for you.

Milling cutters jumbled together without protective sleeves are not worth a lot. Mills that need re-sharpening might be candidates for the scrap bin because of the cost to send them out for sharpening vs. new imports.

Gut feel: The two rotary tables with the modern replaceable-jaw chucks plus the box of ER collets are worth nearly what you paid for the lot. The rest is "gravy," i.e. a bonus.

I'd like to see more photos of the Jones & Lamson

John Ruth

The vertical head is worth having if you've got a suitable machine to take it.

Regards Tyrone,

I do have a machine for the vertical but I don't need it at this time My old K&T handles my vertical work and I also have an Induma 50 taper that I almost have back in service to handle the vertical work.

Whether or not it was a wise use of $1,400 largely depends on what kind of work you do, or want to do, and/or whether or not you enjoy tinkering and have time to do so.

The mills in the first photo have their over-arms, arbor supports, and arbors, all of which are frequently MIA on old mills, so that's a plus right there.

Turret lathes are fascinating machines. In a limited set of mass-production circumstances, they can make money for you.

Milling cutters jumbled together without protective sleeves are not worth a lot. Mills that need re-sharpening might be candidates for the scrap bin because of the cost to send them out for sharpening vs. new imports.

Gut feel: The two rotary tables with the modern replaceable-jaw chucks plus the box of ER collets are worth nearly what you paid for the lot. The rest is "gravy," i.e. a bonus.

I'd like to see more photos of the Jones & Lamson

John Ruth

I will post some more pics on that one I would like some education on how it works.
I tried posting more pics but I think I reached my limit on this thread I will try again but will probably start another thread on that one.

I think the best part of this story is the time you spent with your son!

Too easy to get distracted and go down the wrong road today, Oh yeah.... the machines look in pretty decent shape ... the mills are nice.
Mick

Don't want to highjack the discussion, but have a question, is this "rigging fee" a common thing? I haven't run into it......yet. Maybe I have been lucky so far, but loading has just been part of the sale, except for those few occasions when I was on my own. (really on my own)

OP: that is one way to bury yourself under old iron...........it is pretty easy to do, I am buried under a lot myself.

I think the best part of this story is the time you spent with your son!

Too easy to get distracted and go down the wrong road today, Oh yeah.... the machines look in pretty decent shape ... the mills are nice.
Mick

How true you are Mick, I have 2 sons one who will be graduating from college this May (first in the family VERY PROUD of him) and the other (in the pic) who is 12,going on 25 he thinks he can do anything,so I do have to keep an eye on him,he's the one we hear banging on something in the shop. He has a forge an old one he plays and a cracker box welder,we taught him how to tig weld also.(dont tell him but I think he can tig almost as good as I can) he hasn't burned down the shop yet, just a few minor fires.
I am glad he has an interest in working the machines he has imagination,to big at times,he thinks we can make anything we want to. I explain to him we probably can but it is not always practical he hasn't grasped that yet (they say he is just like his Dad)for good and bad I take that as a compliment,very proud of him as well,all my buddies at the coffee shop say he is going to do something big someday if we keep him pointed in the right direction.

Don't want to highjack the discussion, but have a question, is this "rigging fee" a common thing? I haven't run into it......yet. Maybe I have been lucky so far, but loading has just been part of the sale, except for those few occasions when I was on my own. (really on my own)

OP: that is one way to bury yourself under old iron...........it is pretty easy to do, I am buried under a lot myself.

No the riggers had a set price on each piece of equipment I had no way of loading any of it so I had to pay.If not for the rigging and 15% buyers premium I would have been out about $250.00 for all of it.There were a few guys who brought equipment to load with but they had to be insured to bring it on the property.
All auctions are a little different some will load you out some will charge you need to know before you bid because rigging loading and hauling can add up to a big bill.
I was tempted to buy a VMC it sold for $175.00 but the loading and rigging was $1250.00 plus the 15% plus 8% tax not sure were the total bill ended up but if the machine couldn't be used and you had to scrap you would have lost money for sure. It was more than I wanted to gamble on.

The whole rigging thing seems to be a bit of a racket. At our local machinery auction house,Cheffins,the house will load your vehicle,trailer whatever as a courtesy. Only condition is it must be next day when spectators etc are gone.

Mind you Ted, they only have one way to lift.......1/2" chain slings wrapped round anything that sticks out, all at your risk, their insurance won't help with dropped Wallis tractor nor Oil Pull, you get to sort out their mess.:angry:
Richard.

Seeing those old machines go for less than scrap prices makes me sad.

And modern-day auctioneers, tend to make me very angry.

But it seems there are few alternatives. :sulk:

Rigging fees + buyers fee...........makes me wonder if the auctioneer didn't kill the auction.........they definitely hosed the seller.

Without knowing the condition of the machines, it seemed to be a good deal for the buyer, just gripes to pay most of the cost to the auctioneer.

Back