What's new
What's new

Machine rescue - Converence table? (CL, Worcester, MA)

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
It's probably too late for these poor things, but that's a pretty little mill:

"Have a few old milling machines that will be good for parts or repair, tell me what you need we can make a deal before I scrap them please phone calls only 508. 752. 26777"

cl-ad-1.jpgcl-ad-2.jpgcl-ad-3.jpg

In another ad,

"This was an old milling machine, but would make a great conference table or dining table, 7 feet long, pick up in Worcester phone calls only"

cl-coffee-table.jpg

From Craigslist, Worcester, MA.
Antique iron milling machines for parts - tools - by owner - sale
and
Big industrial Iron conference table base - antiques - by owner -...

I had always wondered what happened to the Brainard mill.
We had talked about these machines on several different posts.
The planer was complete at one time.
Never did see the mill up for sale.
This would be a good mill for Hit Miss Engine as he has been looking for one.
This is what the mill looked like in 1876 and another picture of a No.3 Brainard.

Rob

Attachments

• Whitcomb planer 108.jpg
    Whitcomb planer 108.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Brainard 1876 00 (2).jpg
    Brainard 1876 00 (2).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Brainard No.3 1_LI.jpg
    Brainard No.3 1_LI.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 104
I will try and call this fella in the morning... I believe there is probably plenty of life left under the heavy coats of paint on the mill .. hopefully the guy realizes these are made of iron and not gold.

I would not have the seller move the machine until you get there.
I don't like how part of the shaper is resting on the chip trough. It might get broke.
Also look for the broken door part. It was not broke when this seller got them.

Rob

Attachments

• Brainard No.3 mill 1_LI.jpg
    Brainard No.3 mill 1_LI.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 118
I would not have the seller move the machine until you get there.
I don't like how part of the shaper is resting on the chip trough. It might get broke.
Also look for the broken door part. It was not broke when this seller got them.

Rob
I was wondering if the door was a recent break or not? These guys are savages when it comes to handling iron but I guess to them that’s just all it is.. scrap iron! At least he decided to list them.. I am friends with the guy who runs our local scrap yard and no matter how many times I tell him to call me when something shows up he never does. It’s to much effort to make a phone call... easier to toss it in the pile I guess.

I called the seller the beginning of this week. He was busy and thought that Saturday would work for a visit. Called him this AM and got voicemail.
Left message. No response yet today.

Maxwell Silverman would be glad you guys are looking after his tools.

I would be there but for lack of space and strength of focus.

Wasn't there a die-filer which we picked out of the background on one of these discussions?

Now if you see a Lathe & Morse lathe which in the 1970s I tried to buy out of a scrapyard in Charleton MA (Southeast of Worcester on Route 20) but was told "you're too late - the Worcester guy with the restaurant bought it." You may find it too painted that glorious shade of magenta.

Good luck and let us know how all this comes out.

256202d1557532422-identify-old-machine-former-maxwell-silvermans-toolhouse-worcester-machines-1.jpg

This one is NOT the lathe I saw in the scrapyard - but it may be "Lathe & Morse Tool Co." a little later entity. Hard to know - everyone was sharing foundries in those days.

I'd like the 4 jaw chuck...

Joe in NH

I'm really glad other people are on it. Ever since I found the CL ad this afternoon my wife's been asking if we needed to go rescue that mill, but the shop's still way too full right now.

Normally I spit at people who paint over ways and screws, but that indiscriminate coat of red paint might actually have helped protect those machines.

Update - these are soon to be gone. Seller listed today again in Worcester CL asking people to contact for parts (or repair) before they go to scrap

Looks like a Cochrane-Bly die filer.

Yeah, and I would have loved to have that a few years ago. Now I'm crating machines here for their trip to Montana. No room and that die filer is too far away. Besides, I won a smaller bench mounted one and just need to get it home.

Irby

I met with him today and ended up getting the die filer. Predictably, it's in rough shape but I'm encouraged that I can get a few degrees of rotation from at least one of the shafts. The little horizontal mill is cute but would need a full restoration. Not sure why he's in a rush to get rid of them. He's got a good size scrap yard full of other junk. He seems terrible about returning calls. Maybe just call the "emergency number" which I think is just his cell number.

I met with him today and ended up getting the die filer. Predictably, it's in rough shape but I'm encouraged that I can get a few degrees of rotation from at least one of the shafts. The little horizontal mill is cute but would need a full restoration. Not sure why he's in a rush to get rid of them. He's got a good size scrap yard full of other junk. He seems terrible about returning calls. Maybe just call the "emergency number" which I think is just his cell number.
Did you see if the rest of the planer was there...

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Back